Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphics Card causes render issues and Premiere Crashes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have recently built a new PC aimed at video editing. It has a Ryzen 3700x cpu, 1660super gpu (graphics card), 16gigs of ddr4 ram, and a Samsung 970 pro m.2 ssd. When I first started editing with this computer, I realized that my pc only used cpu and ram to create the playbacks and render my videos, so I tried to use my gpu through the Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration(CUDA). With this, my GPU began to prove its value, until the render stops randomly in the middle of processing, and Premiere crashes. I have checked to make sure this is a gpu isolated problem by rendering with the Software only setting, and it works perfectly (but very slowly). I have also tried to only use the graphics card for playback, since it didn't work for rendering, but the screen goes black in the playback monitor and I am forced to quit and restart Premiere. I have done all of the driver installation from nVidia (both the normal drivers and CUDA drivers), and I have tried the troubleshooting tips from other conversations in message boards, but it seems that my problem is a unique one. I am starting to wonder if it is really a gpu problem, or its because I am misunderstanding the usage of gpus in video editing. Please send help, I have spent way too much money on my rig to just throw away the use of my graphics card. Thank You. 

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Update to the latest Nvidia Studio drivers. The game-ready drivers have been causing all sorts of pain.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add that the option to turn on the Acceleration through CUDA is avaliable (like I can choose to turn it on) but it leads to the problems I have listed above (renders freezing, black screening, crashing), and I have tried the clean reinstallation of drivers. I would also like to add that the CUDA acceleration being turned on does give me the benefits of acceleration and my GPU is fully utilized when the acceleration does work (near 100% utilization in task manager), but I have yet to get a complete render out of my system using that method (again due to the problems listed above). Premiere Pro also doesn't give me any error codes, it just freezes or crashes. I have attached a screenshot of my attempt. The GPU is under full load when the render works, but after awhile the render freezes and my gpu is no longer being used (this can be seen by the huge spike in performance, then the huge drop). 

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't use the GPU every second for many processes, it uses it for when there are GPU accelerated effects involved in a sequence (and for those bits) as the CPU gets to the part where the GPU accelerated effects are. They have added some use of the GPU for H.264 encoding, but if I recall that may currently need an Intel CPU still. I could easily be wrong on that, and I hope that RJL pops in as he knows this stuff cold.

So ... set your GPU use to Mercury Acceleration/Cuda in the Project settings dialog. And that's all you as a user can do.

Now ... the latest Nvidia drivers are wonky. Go back to either the 445.x or 442.x drivers, from the Nvidia site, and use their options to do a clean install of the Studio driver.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Neil! I will try what you have said, and will respond with the outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried installing the 442.x drivers and it does the same thing, renders for a little bit, then the render freezes (same problem as mentioned above). Anything else I can try? I'm somewhat frustrated, especially because if CUDA acceleration doesn't work then my graphics card is stuck twiddling its thumbs. Maybe thats what I don't understand? When I use CUDA acceleration, it looks like my cpu shares its load with the gpu somewhat, and the render seems faster (while it works). When CUDA is disabled, all of the load is put on my CPU and RAM (usually 100% load) and my gpu does nothing. Granted, when I render with CPU and RAM it does render, but it is both painfully slow and slower than the CUDA accelerated render. Its frustrating because CUDA works for a little while then it stops all render processes, so I can see the potential of GPU acceleration, but it has never rendered successfully. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jamesh9025435 I have the same problem now, everything what you describe. Have you solved it already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issues too.  Sometimes it renders sometimes it gets stuck around 18% - 25%

Running an Intel i7 10700K 16gb of ram and nvidia 1080ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to the latest Nvidia Studio drivers. The game-ready drivers have been causing all sorts of pain.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately updating to last studio driver doesn't resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been able to solve the issue? I can't seem to figure it out and I've tried almost everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure why this is labeled as the correct answer, as it's not the soultion at all. Doesn't fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced it too img! it pains my work please can someone told me how to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @R Neil Haugen told - You have to instal "Nvidia Studio drivers" instead of game-ready. 
Now everything working perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am having same issues. Am running in an integrated intel gpu. Was working fine until a week ago. My render can stop at anytime with the gpu going back to sleep. It doesn't work. But if I switch to software encoding. It renders fine but takes a lot of time. Rendering with my gpu was taking me only 1 hour which isn't working anymore 

I have switched to using the mercury CPU and it's taking me 15hours to render. And it does not stop but I want to go back to my gpu render since it faster on that.

I have updated my driver, windows os, and a lot more. The only option am beginning to have is formatting my machine or installing new windows. But that's a tough decision for me because I have a lot of software and scripts on my machine. I really need help with this problem 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An integrated Intel GPU is not the same thing as a discreet GPU card ... though it can have driver issues also. But you don't give us any other data than that, so there's not much we can do to help but make wild guesses.

The thing to puzzle out is what changed a week ago. Did you change Premiere versions? The newest one may not work on an older or less capable system. You might need to roll back.

Did the driver used by the integrated graphics chip change? That might be an issue.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my scenario, My computer would have a hard time when i use CUDA and the preview would freeze and no longer play. I would often just close premiere pro and open it again but it would happen again and again. It would also have a hard time in exporting as it would not export and just crash. so far, after i move the media cache to another drive where my os is not present. Premiere is running good so far and i have not encounter the freezing of the preview and is exporting fast and fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this same issue, crashes when loading thumbnails for videos in the project bin unless I turn off the one (of two) GPU hardware acceleration options under Media menu. Has anyone tried re-enabling to see if it's fixed yet? I'm on the latest update of Premiere, tried last version to see if they fixed it, and it still crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a few older driver versions of Nvidia and it did not fix the issue, it seems to either be an issue with Windows 11 or Premiere itself that needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines