Highlighted

graphics card for macbook pro 16"

Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I'm helping some friends configure a 16" macbookpro for use with premiere pro.  I realize that the new macbookpro's with apple chips are starting to come out, but think it's premature at this point, and the 16 gig ram limitation on the 13" is a dealbreaker.  On the apple site, the options for the 16" macbookpro are

radeon pro 5300, 5500 and 5600 none of which are on the adobe minimum specs for premiere pro.

Since I do a pretty good job of monitoring this board, I see people posting issues with newer macs and just wondering if anyone has any feedback on which if any of these will play nice with premiere?  We may go over to the apple store later today and see what they say (but can you really trust them???).

Thanks

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

graphics card for macbook pro 16"

Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I'm helping some friends configure a 16" macbookpro for use with premiere pro.  I realize that the new macbookpro's with apple chips are starting to come out, but think it's premature at this point, and the 16 gig ram limitation on the 13" is a dealbreaker.  On the apple site, the options for the 16" macbookpro are

radeon pro 5300, 5500 and 5600 none of which are on the adobe minimum specs for premiere pro.

Since I do a pretty good job of monitoring this board, I see people posting issues with newer macs and just wondering if anyone has any feedback on which if any of these will play nice with premiere?  We may go over to the apple store later today and see what they say (but can you really trust them???).

Thanks

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Adobe itself is partly to blame. You see, Adobe has spent too much of its testing resources just trying to optimize performance in Microsoft Windows and Nvidia GPUs, that it has precious little resources remaining to improve performance and support for anything besides Windows and CUDA. As a result, Adobe's implementation of both OpenCL and Metal support has effectively been frozen at 2017 levels.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 1
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wondering what the options would be with an external gpu?  Most of their editing would be from their home but they want a laptop and they've drunk the apple koolaid.  We went over to a nearby apple store and of course we could get in to see anyone.  Not convinced their instore personell are gonna be savvy about premiere....  we'll probably book a session for Saturday...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0