Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Green frames, random glitching on export

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computers specifications are as follows:

Dell XPS 8900 Desktop with a clean non-bloatware install of Windows 10 Home Edition, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4ghz, 16gb ram, Geforce GT 745 4gb Nvidia Driver Version 378.66 installed from their website this morning. I am using Premiere Pro CC (2017) with all updates installed, editing iPhone 7+ 4k footage straight off the device with a sequence matching one of my clip's settings. All are identical file types. I have cleared my cache, uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and my system does not support CUDA acceleration so that is grayed out, etc. No matter what settings I try when exporting the video in h.264 format "match sequence settings - high quality" from premiere I experience green flashes throughout and random glitching. Completely useless. This has only started in the last week or so with my iPhone videos and renders the program useless. I have always exported files in this fashion with no problems like this at all. I have been happily editing video in premiere for 5+ years and this is the only time I've had an issue serious enough to make a post about. I would be extremely grateful for any advice or tips you might be able to offer.
Thank you, Logan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmmm green flashes are often a sign of GPU acceleration issues but you said CUDA is unavailable to you so that mostly rules the graphics card out. However, I wonder if it COULD be tied to a Windows unique preference related to H.264 video. Go to Preferences and go to the Media Tab. Is "Enable Accelerated Intel h.264 decoding" checked? Flick the switch to the opposite state and try again. Let me know the results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done as you instructed.. the problem is now way worse. Upon re-opening premiere after making the change you walked me through and restarting my computer my entire video edit in the timeline is now offline. When I relink the files they import as audio only. No video stream at all which is why all the video went offline I guess.. I have had this issue before, updating quicktime fixed the issue. No such luck this time, Quicktime is up to date with no change.. so what happened to my edited sequence that is now ruined and useless it appears? All the raw video files are in the same folder on the desktop that they have always been in.

Edit: I closed the project without saving in fear of losing my edit, restarted and now all my videos are back. Exporting a test video now to see if turning that setting off did anything. Not sure why the files all went offline initially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is still there even after changing that setting. Should I change it back to being checked or will I notice a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really helped me! I had the same problem and turning off the GPU acceleration did the trick! THANKS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jason, this did the trick, in my MAC it was labeled with similar not exact wording ran a first test, shoed some minor glitches. Made another test same settings and worked perfect, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just solved my problem. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is genuinely one of most frustrating things ive ever encountered and there doesnt seem to be any fix. Ive turned off and on acceleration. I feel like ive done everything and still the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more info, RitzC. Sorry for the issue. What kind of computer components and media?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more info, RitzC. Sorry for the issue. What kind of computer components and media?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you jasontcox, it works. Now I can export my video normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I've tested it, my Sony A6300 clips export just fine. It is only an issue with iPhone 7+ footage being exported into an h.264 filetype. That scenario unfortunately is about 70% of what I edit and export from Adobe premiere, a majority of my projects. I can't imagine that I need to be converting files before bringing them into my editor? I've edited iphone and dslr footage for years in this fashion. Premiere has never had problems with any variety of files in the past. For reference I brought these same iPhone video files into premiere on my Macbook Air Running OSX Sierra, export in the same settings and filetype. There are no export issues of any kind. It is a Windows 10+Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 issue apparently? My macbook air isn't nearly powerful enough to effectively edit on so I am in a real quandary with three completed projects saved and ready to go on my PC workstation. Thank you for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump.. Anyone? I have three completed videos ready to go, all with iphone footage peppered throughout. Still many green flashes and distortion but only on iphone clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, that is frustrating! But it's interesting that the H.264 setting that is unique to Windows changed the problem. Did turning the setting ON make it worse or turning it OFF make it worse? Regardless, it seems like this is a possibly a GPU issue with the Intel card (assuming you're still not using CUDA acceleration. Especially since you said this doesn't happen on the Mac version of Premiere. Are you able to take this project via external drive to your Mac for exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could but it isn't only one project that is effected. It is several. All show the same result, green frames and glitching only on iPhone footage. Even videos that are a mix of Sony and iPhone footage only have issues on export with iPhone footage. That setting being on versus off didn't seem to have any effect on the issue. I have never had this issue in Premiere with everything as I described prior to updating to CC 2017.

My macbook air will crawl trying to open all these 4k files much less render them. It's a mid 2012 and is just barely capable of serving as a light photo editing computer. That is only a short term solution. At this point I guess I should start shopping for an iMac capable of handling 4k? lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, well, we are running low on options/culprits. I don't think deleting the Media Cache would help. It may be a big PITA but as you mentioned, it may be worth transcoding these clips to some intermediate format like DNxHD or Cineform, offline the H.264 versions, and then trying to relink the H.264 versions TO the new versions. You can try transcoding them with Media Encoder but it's possible Media Encoder might create transcoded versions with the green frames! You might need to use a third party solution if that happens. Ugh.

I feel like this is a pretty unique issue/bug or there's something we're overlooking because there are plenty of people who edit iPhone video on Windows machines that only have Intel GPUs. This one is frustrating me on your behalf! lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know exactly what Intel GPU you have? Also, have you tried downloading the latest CUDA drivers for your GPU? Getting CUDA re-enabled very well might fix this as well. You should be able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My graphics card and driver version are listed in the initial post with my hardware: Nvidia Geforce GT 745, driver version 378.66 which is the newest available for this card per their website. I've received the message regarding cuda acceleration many times in the past and never had a completely useless export across multiple projects as a result. The option to enable/disable is greyed out in the project settings.

P.S. Any third-party apps you'd reccomend to get my files into a more workable format? Meh. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was asking about the Intel GPU, not NVIDIA GPU. You've probably got both. And it seems like this is an issue with the Intel GPU since Premiere doesn't seem to be using the NVIDIA one (which is a whole other oddity).  Youll need to find something that'll convert your video to a good intermediate codec like DNxHD or Cineform. Hmmm I'd recommend EditReady to re-encode the video but I think that's Mac only. And I don't think MPEG Streamclip encodes to those more modern formats. Aside from expensive options like Episode, I'm not sure of a cheap option offhand. But hopefully someone else can chime in.

It's POSSIBLE simply re-encoding to a new, fresh H.264 file may fix them as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, how can I find that out to share with you? If I go into project settings I can manually switch between software only or accelerated rendering now. It's sporadic that I'll open a project and be told the feature is disabled due to it not being possible on this machine, etc.

Green frames still on export. Does anyone have any windows based video conversion tools that I could try creating fresh h.264 files with from my raw iPhone clips? That seems to be my last ditch effort. The software is utterly useless currently. Clients are less than pleased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an example of what I am experiencing. It starts at :28 and occurs a few times before the Sony clip begins at :38 or so. I am at my wit's end and will try anything. Very desperate to find a solution. I cannot complete my work.

E90 Final - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let me understand this properly... SOMETIMES your "Renderer" option on Project Settings is grayed out and SOMETIMES you have the option to pick GPU Acceleration (CUDA)? Now THAT I have never heard of before lol. And this isn't changing between software updates? You've seen it grayed out AND not grayed out on the exact same version of Premiere software, CUDA drivers, Windows version, etc?

You can send me a clip with a Dropbox link or even a Creative Cloud Files link if you want me to try to export a version myself. However, I bet my system will do it fine unfortunately. This seems like an issue likely unique to your system/configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, this has been a longstanding issue on my Windows-based systems when using Adobe Premiere. I believe it is due to bringing projects in from many other machines as I share work with others. Adobe themselves have denied there is anything wrong. A closing and re-opening of the project re-enables these features. Yes, I have seen it grayed out between opening and closing the exact same project 10 minutes apart. This software is broken. I cannot believe I'm saying this but I may go back to Apple/Final Cut. What a despicable thing to even consider. I have been on vacation and only editing a few personal projects these last few weeks but my Spring season is gearing up. 5 different paid projects over the next 45 days and I cannot afford to be unable to do my job.

It's an issue with Premiere CC 2017 and Windows 10 is all I can speculate? It is sporadic and hit or miss. The files playback fine in the editor and seem to freeze or become disconnected during export resulting in horrible distortion and glitching. I took the files to a friend's office where he has the exact same PC as myself and was able to flawlessly export the projects from Premiere CC 2015.3 as an h.264 on "match sequence settings - high bitrate" (he has not updated his Premiere after watching me lose all this time and energy of course). With this in mind I am especially aggravated. These are finished projects that are being kept from delivery by the program's inability to put out a clean file. Insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is most definitely frustrating. I feel ya! I don't think enough variables have been tested, however, to definitively lay the blame on the software. I've been using Premiere 2017 on both Mac and Windows since it came out and have used similar iPhone media with no problems. There is a delicate balance between OS version, software version and graphics card drivers and sometimes all three don't jibe perfectly sadly. You should have your friend download Premiere Pro CC 2017 (you can do this 100% safely without removing CC 2015.3 (if you look at the Advanced Options when installing) and test to see if it has an issue exporting from his system. If there's not an issue, it could still be a GPU conflict rather than just an outright issue with PPro 2017 or Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines