• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guide Values Showing at Half Value

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this question about 5 months ago and never received any email notifications, so I did not realized it had been responded to.  With such a gap, I am attempting to post my issue again, but this time with a bit more technical information to help.

I am having an issue with the Guides that can be placed from the Rulers in the Program view window.  For some reason the value for the Guides location is half of what it should be.  For example, by adding a Guide at 50% left, the Guide is placed on the right edge of the frame, at 100%.  If the Guide is moved into the center of the frame, the value listed is 25%.  Is there a setting I am missing or is something bugged in my software? 

I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro that is only a year or 2 old.  Premiere Pro is version 14.7.0.  The reccomended resolution by the OS is 3000x2000.  Here are some other specs that could be relevant to the questions.

System.jpg

In this first image you can see an example of what I am talking about.  The ruler shows the Guide to be at 500 pixels, but the Guide itself shows 250.

Screenshot 2.jpg

Just to cover my bases, here is basically the same image, but done in a percent form.  Once again, the Guide on the ruler shows around 66%, whereas the Guide itself thinks it is at 33%.

Screenshot 3.jpg

For the next two images, I turned on "Snap in Program Monitor".  You can see in the first image it is snapping to around 33%, where the Guide thinks it is.  However, in the second image, the video is not snapping to 66%, where the Guide visually appears to be.

Screenshot 4.jpgScreenshot 5.jpg

I found another question on the Community where someone suggested to change the compatability of Premiere to "Override high DPI scaling behavior".  However, as with the original poster of that post, while it did fix the Guides being in the correct location, it also shrunk all of Premiere down in the windown, making especially difficult the use of the mouse as the icon becomes extremely tiny.

If anyone has any kind of insight I would still appreciate help fixing my issue.  I will try to be more diligent about checking this website in case I do not receive any emails.  Thank you for any help you can give.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely it is the OS scaling.

Extreme scaling tends to give issues such as >200%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I am thinking that might be the case.  I have 2 other coworkers with Surface Pros and they have the same issue.  However, I have 2 other coworkers without the issue.  The Surface Pros have a reccomended scaling of 200%, whereas the other 2 have a Windows desktop with a reccomended scaling of 100% and a Windows laptop with a reccomended scaling of 125%.

However, I think that scaling might be baked into how Premiere perceives the reccomended scaling.  I initially tried setting the scaling to 300% just to see if the issue would be in multiples of 3 and then also tried setting the scaling to 100% to see if it would straight up fix the issue, but in both cases the value of the Guide was still half of its perceived Ruler value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: on a whim and based on some further reading I decided to restart my computer after changing the scale, and sure enough what I thought would happen did.  At 100% scale the Guides matched the Ruler and at 300% the Guide showed a value at a third of the Ruler value.  So yes, it seems that I either need to set the scale to 100% and turn down the resolution so things aren't tiny or just get over using the Guides.  Oh well, luckily math still exists to figure out where to lay videos.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried 150% scaling? Often when users try 125% or 175% or above 200% there are troubles, but 150% still works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did actually check on that after I posted.  The results that I found were that for my Surface as long it wasn't at or above 200%, the scaling was set at a 1:1 ratio, so a 175% scaling worked too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines