• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H.264 and GPU hardware decoding with Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - no loads on the GPU when scrubbing?

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was looking forward to test the latest update of Premiere Pro where GPU-accelerated hardware decoding for H.264/HEVC was added.

I checked that H.264 hardware decoding was ticked-off (Nvidia) under Preferences->Media. I do not have a CPU that includes Intel Quick Sync so this is my only way to go.

I tried editing a sequence with video files from my Canon R6 (filmed in C-log, H.264 format @ both 23.976 fps and 59.94 fps interpreted back to 23.976 to fit the sequence).

The scrubbing performance is still very choppy. What I find strange is that the CPU is showing 100 % utilization while scrubbing while the GPU is showing near 0% (1-2% at most). Isn't GPU hardware decoding supposed to take advantage of the GPU to smooth scrubbing? Wouldn't the GPU usage go up when scrubbing then?

I did a test with GPU hardware encoding just to check there was nothing wrong with the GPU and this does work, I can definitely see the GPU load increase to around 50% while exporting with GPU encoding enabled.

Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Can the 1080 Ti not be "supported" for hardware decoding?

My configuration:

• Adobe Premiere Pro v14.6
  • Windows 10
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X
  • MoB: MSI X299 SLI Plus
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix 11 GB
  • RAM : Corsair  64GB (4x16Go)
  • 2 x 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB (1 for Windows / Premiere Pro, 1 for scratch files and media files combined)

Thanks.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small comment, I mentionned scrubbing but the playback is also very choppy which GPU hardware encoding is also supposed to smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines