Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

h.265 from Autel Evo works in After Effects, but not in premiere

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I have been filming recently using an Autel Evo Pro II 6k in H.265. I typically shoot 4k at 60fps. I purchased the codec from Microsoft (thanks for nickel and diming guys). At first AE wouldn't open the files and actually corrupted them. I rolled back the version to 18.1 and now don't have an issue. However when I try to open them in Premiere I get errors about compression type. I'm on a windows machine built for 3D sculpting and modeling so power isn't the issue and the file is a .mp4 (I've seen others use that solution). It seems like this codec has been around for a few years so I'm confused why it wouldn't be supported. I was told if I'm going to shoot 4k at 60fps that I should use H.265 because that is what it was intended for and that H.264 will dip my quality. Please help!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

I found the issue. The codec is useful for viewing in players other than the adobe software, but it seems the latest versions of both after effects and premeire can't read the H.265 codec. I rolled back to the previous version and everything worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you dropbox a short sample of your footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to buy the codec from MS. It is installed with Premiere.

On a side note, H.265 is not a very good codec for editing (too compressed). Best is to convert to Prores for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)" /><!--<br>/* Font Definitions */<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:"Cambria Math";<br> panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}<br>@font-face<br> {font-family:Calibri;<br> panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}<br>/* Style Definitions */<br>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal<br> {margin:0in;<br> font-size:11.0pt;<br> font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}<br>a:link, span.MsoHyperlink<br> {mso-style-priority:99;<br> color:blue;<br> text-decoration:underline;}<br>.MsoChpDefault<br> {mso-style-type:export-only;}<br>@page WordSection1<br> {size:8.5in 11.0in;<br> margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}<br>div.WordSection1<br> {page:WordSection1;}<br>-->

That is what I thought (in regards to the codec) however Premiere wouldn’t open it. I have the full CC suite. So I bought the codec and yet still it won’t open. Converting it isn’t a huge issue, but I would like the option to use it in premiere

So to recap if the codec is there it isn’t working and even after purchasing from Microsoft it still isn’t working. Any other help?

[link removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the issue. The codec is useful for viewing in players other than the adobe software, but it seems the latest versions of both after effects and premeire can't read the H.265 codec. I rolled back to the previous version and everything worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines