Hardware Acceleration inconsistent

Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having some unusual issues with hardware acceleratio enabling. At times I only have greyed out 'Software only'. The next time I open the app I could have the OpenCL option, or possibly CUDA, though that is a rarity. I have a HP Envy with 2 graphics cards, both with up to date drivers. I have no idea why Premiere isn't picking up the graphics cards every time it opens. 

Media encoder has the same issue, but it only ever offers 'Software encoding'. 

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Hardware Acceleration inconsistent

Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having some unusual issues with hardware acceleratio enabling. At times I only have greyed out 'Software only'. The next time I open the app I could have the OpenCL option, or possibly CUDA, though that is a rarity. I have a HP Envy with 2 graphics cards, both with up to date drivers. I have no idea why Premiere isn't picking up the graphics cards every time it opens. 

Media encoder has the same issue, but it only ever offers 'Software encoding'. 

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 07, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps upgrading the graphics driver might help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had hoped so, but I have the latest drivers, both cleanly installed, and it made no difference sadly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be more specific about the specific components (CPU, GPU, disks, RAM) in that system. Newer versions of Premiere Pro (literally) choke if the PC is more than about four years old.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. It's a HP Envy with an Intel Core i7 CPU with an Intel HD Graphics 520 and Nvidia Ge Force 920 card, 16GB ofDDR3 RAM and a 1TB standard drive, with about 200GB free.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but the GeForce 920m GPU is now obsolete. Driver support from Nvidia itself had ended for that GPU and all other Kepler mobile GPUs last year - de facto in April 2019, officially this past April. Newer versions of Premiere Pro now require a driver version that now no longer supports these GPUs at all in order to work properly.

And although desktop Kepler parts continue to be technically supported in the newest mainstream drivers, CUDA support has been depreciated for all GPUs older than the second-gen Maxwell (GM2xx) chips. The particular chip that was used in your 920m, however, is actually much older than that - dating all the way back to the GeForce GT 730m from 2014, which used the GK208 chip.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine the rest of the system is old.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's of the Skylake era. The problem is that Nvidia has continued to recycle old-generation chips for use in its "newer" budget and low-end GPUs. The latest example is the GeForce MX450, which while a new-for-Fall-2020 GPU it actually uses the now-two-year-old Turing TU117 chip that was originally used in the GeForce GTX 1650, gimped in order to fit within the power limits of such lower-end laptops. Same thing with the MX350: It uses a gimped version of the then-three-year-old Pascal GP107 GPU as used in the GTX 1050 series GPUs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 1
Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 3 years old at this stage IIRC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2020 0
Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses folks, much appreciated. Looks like it might be upgrade time. While I have ye, do you have any tips in a good setup in a new laptop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 08, 2020 0