• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hardware graphics card required

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am buying a PC laptop and Adobe Premiere Pro for professional 4K film editing. This is work. I will take a class to learn it. Someone told me I  should buy a computer with a "dedicated graphic card."  A guy  at Office Depot insists that the computer he's trying to sell  us has all the right specs. I don't think so. The spec says "graphics card: shared."  Also, it says "Business Laptop" and "Processor Speed 1.8 GHz. I can't afford to be set up for failure because I don't have the required hardware. Request advise. 

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guy at Office Depot must have been asking if you wanted to supersize your fries last week

https://community.adobe.com/t5/video-hardware/premiere-pro-hardware-articles-to-read-before-you-buy-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I needed the good laugh! I wasn’t able to open up the link on my iphone as I dont have a computer. Hate to bother you with the same question. Re the hardware specs the Office Depot guy insists we buy , the specs on PC he’s trying to sell us says “Graphics Type: Shared.” Doesn’t this refer to the graphics card? Is this a “dedicated graphics card” needed for Adobe Premiere Pro PC laptop to edit 4K video for work? I don’t think so. But I need advise from an expert I can give to the governmental entity funding it. Then it says “Processor speed (base): 1.8 GHz. This can’t be the right thing to buy. Is it? What do I need? Then it says “Business Laptop.” What do I truly need? It’s critical we get it right. Thank you. 🙏

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't spend any money until you read those articles.

Get very far away from that guy at Office Depot.  He doesn't know the first thing about Premiere Pro Hardware requirements.

You need a processor twice that speed, a good graphics card, a large and fast SSD (preferably two), and 32 or 64 GB RAM to edit 4K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's snowing the government contact who arranges for purchasing and he's the only one that contact will give the sale too.  I've complained and I won't sign off until this is sorted out.  Twice he put the wrong software on a computer that's deficient. He put Elements. You think I can get something in $2,000 range?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Office Depot guy is trying to make a sale, even if he's lying to you. You see, "Shared" graphics is always an on-CPU integrated graphics processor that does not have its own discrete VRAM at all, but actually "steals" a large portion of your planned system's Main RAM for itself. That may leave you with a woefully insufficient amount of main RAM remaining for everything else, including running programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to read the laptop review?

I build my own desktop computers (one for me & one for wife) so I have no direct experience with laptops, but after reading the laptop review article I will attempt to summarize

Intel i7 processor

nVidia video adapter with AT LEAST 4Gig of VRAM

Minimum TWO drives, both should be SSD if possible

Minimum 16Gig ram, 32Gig is better for 4k video

About my saying minimum 2 drives

That would be one drive for Windows and all programs (256Gig is enough... I have a 256Gig boot drive and about 82Gig is used)

The 2nd drive would be for everything else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just looked at a brick-and-mortar Office Depot store, and they do not stock any laptops at all that meet minimum practical requirements for video editing. None of them that they stock has more than 8 GB of RAM installed, and none of them has a decent discrete GPU at all. And most that they stock still have only dual-core CPUs.

Under those circumstances, it is not surprising at all that the salesperson there suggested just any plain old unit that they had in stock from thin air - even if that laptop is equipped with an Atom-based Intel Pentium CPU with 4 cores and 4 threads (which everybody has found to be almost totally unusable for any sort of video editing, as it is much weaker than even a dual-core Intel i3 mobile CPU).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.  That was very kind of you to take the time to do that. This info will help me make the case of what I need. Can you imagine they tried to buy a deficient laptop with the wrong software? The guy puts Vegas! When the class is in Adobe Premiere Pro? When I complained, he put a different deficient laptop with another wrong software. He put Elements Student and teacher for me to take a university class in Adobe Premiere Pro. What do you make of this?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

He doesn't know jack about professional-level content creation software. He's just there trying to make a buck for the company that he works for. Under these circumstances, that's not surprising at all, especially as he knows only cheapo amateur-level software that is very easily outgrown by hobbyists and pros.

I would suggest that you tell your employer that the particular Office Depot physical store that you visited does not stock anything suitable at all, and that the person in charge of its computer department knows little to nothing about the software that your organization is planning to use.

By the way, Office Depot, AFAIK, does not sell Creative Cloud subscriptions at all. No wonder why the salesperson told you what he did. You'll have to subscribe directly at Adobe (on its Web site).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have stated you must buy 'on contract' at Office Depot you need to go online to pick one

The 'regular' PC laptops won't work for 4k video editing, you need a 'gaming' laptop

https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/gaming-laptops/N=5+1462024/

Look at all the brands/models and find one that matches the list I posted... when I selected the option for minimum 15" screen size, the only one that is not out of stock is https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5635836/Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-S-GX502GV-PB74/

You should find out if adding a 2nd SSD drive to that one is possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>PC laptop and Adobe Premiere Pro for professional 4K film editing

Please do NOT let your boss and/or the salesman talk you into buying anything less than the last Office Depot link I posted... you need a really strong computer to edit 4k video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  You guys are life savers!. Because that Office Depot guy TWICE tried to sell the wrong computer and wrong software, and the buyer is unable to wrap her mind around what I've tried to teach her, through the info here, I am having an advocate look into this matter.  See, I'm disabled and going back to work. I mist. I signed up for Voca Rehab and am supposed to get the equipment I need. I can't use what her friend the Office Depot guy demands we buy (this is with state funds to help the disabled), as it would be a complete total waste of state funds and I can't afford to be set up for failure. In this economy my life depends on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to follow up on my previous post, those in-store Office Depot laptops will barely handle even 720p video (as in 720p video will stutter when played back in any decent video editing program). 4k is virtually unusable at all in those laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I've been on MacBook Pro for 12 years. She wants to put me on a Windows PC because Office Depot doesn't carry Apple Mac. But she also told me Amazon is their vendor too and Amazon has MacBook Pro.   I have not been able to knock any sense into her so I'm going over her head to get an advocate to help get this show on the road.  Given she demands I not get a Mac but have to have a PC, how difficult do you think it will be for me to go from using only Mac for 20 years to a PC and be able to perform. ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines