Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hardware importance in scene detection

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello.

I'm thinking about upgrading a desktop. which hardware is important when running scene detection.

Cpu or Gpu?

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Don't worry about that. Go to the Puget Systems and SaferHarbor computer sites, and study their many papers and tests on hardware and Premeire Pro. You want a machine that will actually run the whole program well. A "balanced" machine, where the CPU, GPU, RAM and drive setup all work together seamlessly.

Or you're wasting your money.

Also check on the Video Hardware forum, which for some reason isn't shown as a link on the leader page of this forum. You can search for it. I'm on my tablet or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021
Enthusiast , Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Scene Edit detection appears to rely significantly on the decode capabilities of the video card.  For example right nwo to test this, I have a h264 clip that is 2 hours long.  Running on a Intel i9 10980xe with a RTX 3090 + 128GB of memory and NVME drives here is what the utilization looks like:

Note the low CPU use, high memory use, 51% Video Decode use on the CPU, the NVME dribe was 1% Usage.  To me, it appears that the memory and video card will make the most differance, but as R Neil Haugen

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about that. Go to the Puget Systems and SaferHarbor computer sites, and study their many papers and tests on hardware and Premeire Pro. You want a machine that will actually run the whole program well. A "balanced" machine, where the CPU, GPU, RAM and drive setup all work together seamlessly.

Or you're wasting your money.

Also check on the Video Hardware forum, which for some reason isn't shown as a link on the leader page of this forum. You can search for it. I'm on my tablet or I'd include the link.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Scene Edit detection appears to rely significantly on the decode capabilities of the video card.  For example right nwo to test this, I have a h264 clip that is 2 hours long.  Running on a Intel i9 10980xe with a RTX 3090 + 128GB of memory and NVME drives here is what the utilization looks like:

Note the low CPU use, high memory use, 51% Video Decode use on the CPU, the NVME dribe was 1% Usage.  To me, it appears that the memory and video card will make the most differance, but as R Neil Haugen suggest, Puget Systems will have the bench marks for premier.  If memory serves me correct, the video cards are important, but they diminish is value pretty quick as the nvenc part of all the RTX 3000' series is the same (thus a RTX 3080 is ideal).

Hopefull this helps you make a decision on how to invest.

STATS.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines