• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble with AVCHD footage loosing audio in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally upgraded to a new iMac this past October and am editing with Premiere CC. Most of the footage I've been shooting is in the AVCHD format. It's been working great for months and now within the last week it's started acting really strange lately. I'll play a video clip and it will randomly play audio from a totally different clip or loose audio completely.  Sometimes I can still see the audio on the timeline, but not hear it. I've called Adobe tech support several times and tried clearing the media cache files and a few other preferences and it worked for a day. Next day I open the project and same issues. Anybody experienced this? Any solutions? Greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVCHD typically stores the audio differently from the video ... different folders. That is naturally complex for the application to keep track of.

AVCHD should be copied from the camera card by the entire folder structure on the card to a drive on the computer. And then should be ingested into PrPro via the MediaBrowser panel by upper folder which does a much better job of getting the full proper metadata into the app's database.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, are you sure about this?  I've shot with a few cameras that record avchd and can either import the folder or just import the subfolder named "stream."  the individual files are .mts files and contain video and audio.  There are issues with "spanned" clips which are another nightmare entirely.    Just double checked a card shot on a panasonic hmc150 and that's the way it is.  On a mac you've got to "show package contents" a couple of times to dig down to the stream folder.

I've never seen any difference using the media browser or just draggin the containing folder or individual .mts files directly into premiere.    Maybe this varies between cameras...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This IS the nightmare of spanned media, of clips being identically named, of audio and timecode metadata-many things. Drilling down into the Stream folder is a workaround. The method is to import card based media via media browser every time. That's what they tell me, anyway.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry Kevin, that has not been my experience.  I had some serious issues with spanned clips a few years ago and tried every which way to import them including using the media browser.  Importing them by simply dragging the containing folder into a bin worked just as well as any other method and NONE of the methods solved the issue of what happened when you exported an xml to bring your sequence over to resolve.  Spent a week banging my head against the wall before before figuring out a workaround that had nothing to do with how the material was imported.   Happy to explain my workaround if you like, but had nothing to do with this issue.  Maybe different cameras handle the metadata issue differently but the panasonic hmc150 media did not play nice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if a good work around is to convert all the AVCHD footage to
something like ProRes 422 first and then use those new footage files for
editing? Would that clear up the metadata issues? Seems like a pain in
the butt. But wonder if it will work?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, there are a number of advantages to transcoding to an "all i-frame" format like prores.  Not only will you have eliminated the audio issue, but generally playback performance should be improved.  But, it's possible that your problem is not caused by the avchd source material, so always a good idea to do a test with one or 2 clips to make sure it solves the immediate issue.  Just make sure your target format matches your source material as far as frame rate, pixel dimensions, and pixel aspect ratio and of course that the audio is uncompressed and minimally 48k 16 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks,,
Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a camcorder we used to use that had AVCHD audio and video files placed into subfolders. Yea, the "stream" folder typically holds everything inside, but there is the possibility that there are separate folders for audio & video within it. I've seen others like unto it.

Which was one of the pain-points for me in using AVCHD with them.

My GH3 had the mts files with both audio & video in a folder for the AVCHD format. Still didn't take to it. Much preferred the All-I format.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVCHD typically stores the audio differently from the video ... different folders. That is naturally complex for the application to keep track of.

By @R Neil Haugen

I have never seen any AVCHD camera do that, storing video and audio separately in different folders. All AVCHD cameras i have used store video and audio in the same file, the .MTS file located in the STREAM folder.

Which AVCHD cameras store video and audio separately? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

d,

Did you import the AVCHD footage via Media Browser? If not, that is likely why you're having trouble. It's related to the metadata not matching up. Sorry about that. The workaround is to reconnect them one at a time, unfortunately.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm pretty new to Premier. When I'm in
Premier and I select "import" and then select the stream folder that the
MTS files are in is this the correct way? Is there a video tutorial or
something that will show a step by step method to do this correctly?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I'm inPremier and I select "import" and then select the stream folder that theMTS files are in is this the correct way?

No its not, You need to use the media browser. Navigate to the folder on computer and it will show you the mts files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines