• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR10 Export Steps?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found an inability to export my video content to HEVC HDR10 as it crashes but with version 19 or 13.1.5 it does work just less options to select.

That said, I am doing a basic import, crop, clean the footage and export at a lower bitrate and want to maintain the HDR10 format info.  So the video for example has:

Inform : 58.2 Mb/s, 3840*2160 (16:9), at 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS, HEVC (Main 10@L5.1@High), HDR10

Commercial name : HEVC
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
HDR_Format_Commercial : HDR10
HDR_Format_Compatibility : HDR10

colour_description_present : Yes
colour_description_present_Source : Stream
Color range : Limited
colour_range_Source : Stream
Color primaries : BT.2020
colour_primaries_Source : Stream
Transfer characteristics : PQ
transfer_characteristics_Source : Stream
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
matrix_coefficients_Source : Stream
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
MasteringDisplay_ColorPrimaries_Source : Stream
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
MasteringDisplay_Luminance_Source : Stream
Maximum Content Light Level : 10000 cd/m2
MaxCLL_Source : Stream
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 1166 cd/m2
MaxFALL_Source : Stream

I know the newer version of Premiere which is broken for all intents and purposes has setttings for some of the above but the prior release is basically HDR or not HDR.  How do I maintain the above color/light levels in the new export?  My exported version only contains the below metadata:

Inform : English, 17.5 Mb/s, 3840*1600 (2.40:1), at 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS, HEVC (Main 10@L6.2@High)

colour_description_present : Yes
colour_description_present_Source : Stream
Color range : Full
colour_range_Source : Stream
Color primaries : BT.2020
colour_primaries_Source : Stream
Transfer characteristics : PQ
transfer_characteristics_Source : Stream
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
matrix_coefficients_Source : Stream 

Thanks.

JR

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The addition of HDR is a work in progress, and the current version has far more capabilities than the older one. I can export in both the shipping and the public beta without troubles. I can work in both without troubles.

But as I recall from your previous thread, you have a 10 year old CPU and a 5 year old GPU, neither of which is capable of running the current Premiere well.

That rig has had a glorious run. Getting 10 years from a CPU or five from a GPU is excellent ROI. But it is very ancient technology, as both the CPU and the GPU are many, many generations of their ilk past. Long past. Premiere can't be expected to run on ancient kit.

In fact, one of the ways they've been working on getting stability is to cut down how many generations of code for old kit they're still trying to support. Because your machine for many things needs code that isn't used on anything newer.

I've got a brand new rig I'll be moving to right after the New Year. And mine's only about 4 years old now, with a 1060 for GPU. The new rig ... 24 cores, 128GB of RAM, and GPU to match ... will be intriguing.

But I hate moving to a new computer. Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil,

I could buy that in a way but hard to think Premiere Pro is literally bluescreening my computer because of this.  So thinking if that is the case, either it's something else or Adobe does bad coding with their software.  I would think they would check for what the CPU is capable of and either not run at all or limit what the software will do.  Just my thoughts.

Also my Quadro is 5 years old which I wouldn't think for the cost of a professional grade GPU wouldn't be considered old but maybe that's me no longer always going after the latest and greatest and focusing on a balance between cost and functionality.

If I did get a new system, it won't be cheap as I would want to stick with a Dell Precision rack as I use a rack mount setup and those are lower in sound level.  Or the old ones were.  My big quandry would be can I get lowerer end CPU's and upgrade over time and would they be the same or better than what I have now.  Like the bronze series Xeon chips would have lower speeds but are newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That five year old GPU is what, four generations back already? That was about the end of that gen's lifecycle to begin with. I think the only reason it has a "modern" driver from Nvidia is because it was a Quadro unit, but that can't get around the age of the code & hardware involved.

We had our first computer in our business back about ... '87? Something like that. It was a 286/386 machine, with the FULL meg of RAM (WOW, that was huge!) and a massive 40 megabyte hard drive. We were ridiculed by our professional peers for getting that over the 20 meg drive.Who will ever need such a massive drive? Whatever. We were running the last Windows that was DOS-based GUI.

In the ensuing years, we've had up to six desktops and a number of laptops at a time. Anymore, we're down to three and two. Most of that time, I've needed the hot rig, so when I get a new one, I migrate myself to it, then that rig to the missus, her rig to her assistant, and on down the line. Yea, I've hated migrating.

I do video post primarily. The missus is a pro portrait photographer ... yea, we're one of the last remaining actual studios in the state. But we just replaced the bookkeeping and sales rigs with a single unit a few months back, setup as the 'home' of a server for her business. So ... her rig is not needing to "move down". And it's entirely adequate for stills, so she's not sure she wants to take my old video rig, even though it's double the machine hers is.

I got a rig from Puget. They're only what, a 3-4 hour drive away? And they've done good work with all sorts of video post.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll take a look at Puget.  Side note, I have a very high end gaming laptop with a full 1070 NVidia GPU.  Not that I'll use the GPU much but just mentioning it.  Was thinking I'll try doing the encode there and see if it goes thru with Premiere.  That said, with Premiere Pro 2020 is it fair to say if I want to take an existing footage and recode it smaller that I would need to set the same HDR values in the export as the source? 

So with:

Mastering display color primaries : Display P3

Would I set Color Primaries to P3D65?  Also do I need to do this in the Sequence Settings?

Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2

Would I set Luminance min to 0.005 and Luminance Max to 4000?

Maximum Content Light Level : 10000 cd/m2

What would I set the Content Light Levels to?  If I put 10000 in for Max it changes to 4000.  There is also an average in there that can't go over 4000 either.

Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 1166 cd/m2

Would assume mentioned above the average would be set to 1166?

I know in my other thread also they said not to use Render At Maximum Depth and Use Maximum Render Quality but saw blogs where they say for HDR content to check them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I find interesting.  I tried encoding with Premiere Pro 2020 latest version on my gaming laptop and on a separate desktop.  Unlike what I'm used to, you start encoding, and the encoding will say for example 4 hours.  Then eventually obviously it goes up to 11 hours left, then 15.  So it runs and after a night of running shows 11 hours now.  11?  I was sleeping for 8 hours.  OK well should be done by dinner.  Dinner time shows 11 hours and X number of minutes more than it said when I woke up.  Huh?  How after 15 hours of encoding is it still confused on the time to encode?  Three or more days later with each hour it thinks is left to encode really being 3 or 4 times that, it finishes.  Not sure when I'm using HDR and High 10 what is happening that is hanging up the encoding for that long compared to what time it keeps telling me.  As mentioned before, non HDR and High 10 whatever time it settles on after 10 minutes or so of running is usually pretty accurate.  Is this related to the other problems I'm having with it crashing my other machine?  Who knows.

JR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These guys have been at the forefront of 'silent' computing, and have been around for years. I've purchased a rig from them before I started building all mine: https://silentpc.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines