• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDV to ProRes transcodes will not import

Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finally broke down and transcoded all our old HDV interlaced footage to ProRes in Compressor  (I find it does a much better job deinterlacing than AME). Some projects import fine into Premiere, but other projects do not. All HDV was trancoded the exact same way with the identical preset. The clips that won't import are not just one clip here or there, but an entire project of clips. I either get the message "File format not supported" or "We were unable to open the file on disk". Oh how I wish Premiere could offer more help. Error codes or something 🙂

I used Invisor to compare the specs from HDV to ProRes clips that imported fine to a couple that would not import. All the main specs are identical. So I'm really scratching my head here. Also all the offending clips (the handful I tested) open and play fine in VLC and Quicktime. They also import and play fine in FCPX.

2020 iMac, 10.15.7 Catalina, with the latest Premiere, Compressor, FCPX etc.

I've attached a 1 second clip.

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Can you please try with the Premiere Pro 14.6 Beta build? I was able to import the file there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann, I'll try to remember that, but for something that would need to be downloaded and tested, would embeding a clip actual be helpful in that situation. Sorry, maybe there is something I'm missing. I do understand the security part though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its still an unknown source: dropbox would have been better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, next time I will try and remember to upload to dropbox. I'm guessing that Google Drive would be OK too.

Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't open it in PP or AE.

PP 14.5, Win 2004

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now here's the weird thing.  I just brought your file into compressor and applied the prores lt preset and it imports fine.   using compressor 4.4.4.   are you customizing the settings for your transcode in compressor?  weird... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird indeed. Excellent tip, thanks for checking! It's the stock ProResLT preset with these tweaks in the "Quality" settings: Resize filter: Lanczos2, Retiming quality Good. And in audio using the stock 48khz, but sample size is 24bits. I've only checked three major projects so far in Premiere. Those clips were all transcoded the same way, and one project (w/hundreds of clips) imported fine and played fine in Premiere. I'll test the others next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to troubleshoot this, first thing I'd do is find a transcode source that won't import into premiere and reprocess with some same custom preset in compressor a few times and see if they all fail to import.  If the problem is intermittent I don't know what to tell you.  Then I'd try turning off the audio output and see if that solves the problem.  If so, you can try tweaking the audio settings.  Then I'd try resetting one "customization" to the default and and reprocess in compressor and see if we can narrow this down to which of the customizations is causing the problem.  Once you've determined that, you might try tweaking that customization to see if we can mitigate the issue.   This is the kind of thing that would make me crazy but I'd eventually figure out what was going on.  The trick is to be methodical in this process.  Very easy to skip something that might be the source of the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mgrenadier! Yep, it's driving me crazy 🙂 So appreciate your time and thoughts. I will do some of these tests later this week and post back. Crazy to me that HDV shot projects from the same camera and settings transcoded with the exact same settings and some import and some don't. Keen to see what other projects don't import as well and test as you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking MyerPj!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please try with the Premiere Pro 14.6 Beta build? I was able to import the file there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh this is interesting. Thanks Tom. Will try that later this week. I did quickly try and take the same file and converted it to different flavors of stock ProRes and stock Uncompressed 10bit, Premiere would still not import. Even changed the audio to 16bit. No dice. AME won't import it, but I tried Shutter Encoders stock ProResLT and Premiere imported it.

Maybe this is just a tiny bug in the current Premiere and 14.6 will fix it. I'm not in a big hurry, but would need to potentially re-encode 1000s of clips if it's not a Premiere bug. Again, thanks again Tom. Will post another update later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking back over our internal bug tracking I'm 99.9% sure this is a fix we made in this cycle to support a change to the way FCP made to how they were writing some QuickTime files. If that's the case there should be no need to re-transcode anything so I'm pretty optimistic. Of course if you find that to not be the case we'd very much want to investigate further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom. Haven't had a chance to do any more tests, but I can likely wait till 14.6 is out, with work-a-rounds for now. This is extremely helpful to know. I wasn't looking forward to transoding all those clips again. I'll do a test when 14.6 is out and post an update. Take care and thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again all. I just tried importing an assortment of the offending transcodes to ProRes and all import fine in PP 14.6. The only minor bug is that Premiere gets the pixel aspect ratio wrong on all the clips. It thinks 1.3333, but of course reintrepreting the footage in PP to 1.0 corrects the error. Though not a big deal, it still baffles me. Invisor clearly shows the pixel aspect ratio is 1.0 for these clips. This has happened in the past and apparently Premiere seems to find something in the files leftover from the original HDV, but I've never been able to figure out what 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the "We were unable to open the file on disk" error code for a 1.31GB .mov file that I downloaded from Google Drive. 

I'm on a mac (10.15.7) and I'm on PRPRO 2020. 

The footage is from a DSLR camera. I've imported footage from this camera in this exact same format without issue in previous versions of PRPRO. Can someone help me with this? I've got a deadline!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

revert to the previous version of premiere that was working for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with that answer for the short term. If you're on a deadline, go with what you know works. In the meantime if you can share a sample of a non-working file I can take a look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the swift responses. I was able to import the footage this morning. I had the footage re-exported as an mp4 file and asked for it to be shared with me via dropbox (rather than g drive). Then I moved the file to my desktop and imported (rather than importing from SSD). 

I don't know why this worked. But it did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you transcode the HDV/MPEG 2 to Pro Res if you use Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy. We use Premiere and FCPX for different projects. But basically we are Mac based and have found (generally) that transcoding the older archived HDV (1440x1080i) footage works best when editing projects that are primarily footage in 1920x1080p format. Of course there are differnt schools of thought. However, we are always open to other suggestions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere Pro 4.0 could edit HDV using the Core 2 Quad. No need to transcode. I take if FCPX needs HDV to be transcoded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again all. I just tried importing an assortment of the offending transcodes to ProRes and all import fine in PP 14.6. The only minor bug is that Premiere gets the pixel aspect ratio wrong on all the clips. It thinks 1.3333, but of course reintrepreting the footage in PP to 1.0 corrects the error. Though not a big deal, it still baffles me. Invisor clearly shows the pixel aspect ratio is 1.0 for these clips. This has happened in the past and apparently Premiere seems to find something in the files leftover from the original HDV, but I've never been able to figure out what 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines