Hello! I'm currently color correcting a project I've been editing and the final shot of the movie seems like the tint of the clip switches twice. This is without me touching it with color. They shot in a dark room on an iphone, so the exposure is auto, and the shot tilts up. The footage seems to goes from a greenish tint to a redish tint to a orange tint. Anyone having tips on how to color correct this so it all matches? I've tried splitting the clip, that doesn't work. No matter what I do, you can still se the tint shift. Is it a lost cause? Please help.
I have pretty good success with the Color Match function. See the documentation and see the section, "Match color between shots." Split the shot into two and match the second to the first or vice versa. A dissolve between the two can help with blending the shift.
Usually, this function is used for matching 2 separate cameras, so a color shift may still be detectable. Sorry. I did something similar, but it was a stylistic piece where I could hide the shift with a quick film burn overlay (like an effect). For spiritual video, might be a great time to get some use for something similar to disguise the shift: film burn, rays, light flicker, lights. I did that in a piece I did about Notre Dame. If you are on Instagram, here is a link to what I am suggesting.
Light burst to hide the color shiftRay of light to hide the color shift
Thanks so much! I did try color match, but it didn't help with the shifts because it's all one shot. I even tried splitting the clips and matching color and still no sucess, unfortunately. The effect is a good call, probably won't work for this because it's a scripted piece and is in the middle of a scene, but defintely something to keep in mind for later.
Auto-color is a right ... um ... bear to deal with.
Splitting the clip into sections mostly the same color, then applying a slow crossfade between them is a method that can help minimize how obvious this is. But yea, it's a lot of fiddly work. And may not get all that much better unless you're pretty good and very determined.
Yea, been there done that. Yuck. One project for a client, I had to simply give up on the transtion option and start keyframing Lumetri. With a control surface that can work ok, but by mouse... yowza that would be a mess to try.