Help Needed- Playback and editing issues

Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing first- I am new at this. I was using Rush and I had a good handle on editing and playback etc. Upgraded to Pro after speaking with an Adobe customer service rep because I was having so many issues with 4K and even 1080p clips. Rep upsold me insisting Pro would handle high res videos. Now I am still having serious issues with glitchy playback and clip running close to 2 seconds after I stop. Makes editing for a newbie like myself impossible. 

Is it safe to assume my system can't handle it? 

I have:

Intel i7-8700 cpu @ 3.20Ghz

32 GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thaks

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help Needed- Playback and editing issues

Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing first- I am new at this. I was using Rush and I had a good handle on editing and playback etc. Upgraded to Pro after speaking with an Adobe customer service rep because I was having so many issues with 4K and even 1080p clips. Rep upsold me insisting Pro would handle high res videos. Now I am still having serious issues with glitchy playback and clip running close to 2 seconds after I stop. Makes editing for a newbie like myself impossible. 

Is it safe to assume my system can't handle it? 

I have:

Intel i7-8700 cpu @ 3.20Ghz

32 GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050ti. 

What am I doing wrong?

Thaks

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 09, 2020 0
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system appears to be okay. But the thing you need to know is that hardware is only half the battle. The type of media you work with has a dramatic effect on your system/editing performance. When I say type of media I'm mostly referring to the codec. Do you know what you're working with? If you are working with 1920x1080 or 4k media that's h264 or h265 (which I'm assuming you are) then it's not uncommon at all to have playback issues. These days with phone and screen capture video you can have an extra layer of playback problems that comes from variable framerate media. Two other factors to consider when it comes to playback performance is:

- Drive speed and I/O speed. Basically, is the data speed requirement for what you're working with higher than your drive speed and ports can handle? (I doubt this is the problem)

- What you have going on in the timeline has a large impact as well. Do you have multiple streams of video (multiple layers playing simultaneously)? Are you doing effects and color grading? These types of things are most often saved until the end of the process for the reason that they slow things down.

That's a handful of info but ultimately I think your issue is probably related to the codec of the media you're working with. You'd want to either transcode it to a nicer editing codec prior to working with it, or try making proxies into a low bitrate intermediate codec (which is what I usually do when working with h264/5).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this info. I have a lot to learn!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There always is! Feel free to post follow-up questions if you have them and I (or others) can help point you in the right direction. But hopefully you've got enough to look into there.

Here's a nice article on codecs. Might take some time to read/watch through, but if you want to dive in a little more on that it really helps you understand what's going on with your video media on more of a technical level.

https://blog.frame.io/2017/02/15/choose-the-right-codec/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0