Highlighted

Help with MP4 importing problem on Mac

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm definitely a newbie to this program (and honestly to anything more than basic editing, period). Previously I've been able to import MP4 videos to Premiere Pro and edit them without problem. However, this time I'm encountering a very odd problem. I first noticed this after installing the September update (14.4).  

Let's say the MP4 clip is 5 minutes 4 seconds long. The clip is imported and shows up as a 5 minutes 4 seconds long clip exactly. However, it seems to be playing in slow motion (~50% speed) and then it is cut short. The clip imports as the full length and if you didn't look at the content you would never know - however, because it is running slow, whatever would have taken more than 5 minutes to play is all gone. I understand this is a little confusing to explain so let me use an example. Let's say it takes 5:04 to normally recite the alphabet. This time becasue it seems to be running at 50% speed, it's only making it to "M" after 5:04 the remainder of the alphabet is gone. When I open the clip in VLC, it runs at normal speed without truncation. I had a co-worker try it on PC and with the same source video and he did not experience this issue. 

Additionally, I opened up a prior project using MP4 video from the same camera and it is now running at slow speed with truncation (despite being totally previously edited). I tried augmenting the frame rate (source is just under 60 FPS) and it just brings it up to normal speed but then the clip trims down to about 2.5 minutes (never had to adjust frame rate previously).

Has anyone else experienced this or have any insights?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help with MP4 importing problem on Mac

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm definitely a newbie to this program (and honestly to anything more than basic editing, period). Previously I've been able to import MP4 videos to Premiere Pro and edit them without problem. However, this time I'm encountering a very odd problem. I first noticed this after installing the September update (14.4).  

Let's say the MP4 clip is 5 minutes 4 seconds long. The clip is imported and shows up as a 5 minutes 4 seconds long clip exactly. However, it seems to be playing in slow motion (~50% speed) and then it is cut short. The clip imports as the full length and if you didn't look at the content you would never know - however, because it is running slow, whatever would have taken more than 5 minutes to play is all gone. I understand this is a little confusing to explain so let me use an example. Let's say it takes 5:04 to normally recite the alphabet. This time becasue it seems to be running at 50% speed, it's only making it to "M" after 5:04 the remainder of the alphabet is gone. When I open the clip in VLC, it runs at normal speed without truncation. I had a co-worker try it on PC and with the same source video and he did not experience this issue. 

Additionally, I opened up a prior project using MP4 video from the same camera and it is now running at slow speed with truncation (despite being totally previously edited). I tried augmenting the frame rate (source is just under 60 FPS) and it just brings it up to normal speed but then the clip trims down to about 2.5 minutes (never had to adjust frame rate previously).

Has anyone else experienced this or have any insights?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will,

It sounds like a weird frame rate issue. At least that's my initial guess.

When you create a new sequence from that footage (drag the clip onto the "New Item" icon), what do the sequence settings show?

Also, what kind of device was this footage shot on? Is the footage by chance variable frame rate?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
will1781 LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay. Sequence settings are in image below (hope I've done it right).

It's surgical footage from an operating room shot on a specialized camera - unfortunately I don't have the details in front of me, but the source video shows up as 59.940060 FPS. I don't believe it's variable frame rate but not 100% sure about that. I noted the difference in FPS in settings vs. the source video and changed the settings in Premiere. It fixed the slow motion problem but it did not recover the truncated video.

I've edited multiple times from this camera before without any of these issues. Only difference this time is that I updated Premiere. Not sure if that could be it?

Thank you for your reply.Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 12.02.21 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020 0