• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEVC/H.265 10-bit hardware encoding - possible with Intel Quick Sync in Premiere Pro/AME?

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a lot of searches and reading for the answer to this question, but can't find any concise answers, so I hoping someone in this forum can help.

Is there any system configuration + software version on Mac or Windows that allows 10-bit hardware encoding of HEVC/H.265 with Intel Quick Sync from Premiere Pro/AME?

There should be plenty of systems that have the CPUs supporting HEVC 10-bit Quick Sync encoding, but from what I've read it doesn't seem to be available, and I can't find anywhere that explains if it is an operating system issue or a Premiere Pro/AME issue, so I would appreciate it if someone can clue me in on if it's possible or not.

Cheers,

Gavin

TOPICS
Export , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Hi Gavin,

I've been told, "anything is possible with software." So, I think it is possible and hopefully Adobe engineering will add that as a feature as soon as possible. You can certainly make a feature request for that here.

I am not aware of what other NLEs can do in this regard. Maybe someone else can chime in. I can also move this post to the hardware forum, if you like. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Nvenc nor Quick Sync support all the variations of H.264 at this time regaurdless of the software you choose. The M1 CPU from Apple can encode and decode more varaiations H.264 but so will the new 10nm CPUs comming from Intel in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts on this too. 

As is often the case with Adobe, the chance of hearing anything from them is slim to none, however I can confirm that as it stands (dec 2020) 10 big h265 files from the A7SIII do not utilise quicksync in the current version of premiere pro cc. I won't be buying an A7SIII until it does so I really hope Adobe can implament this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some of the newer 10nm mobile CPUs have a better IGPU and a Quick Sync revamp. That being said I don't know if they will support all H.264/265 variations. I imagine all CPUs in 2021 will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seventh generation and above Intel processors have Quick Sync H.265 Main10/10-bit encoding/decoding acceleration support, so it should have been possible for the last 5 years or so, unless there is something I'm missing that would prevent Adobe from making use of this in the older processors? Maybe there needs to be better support from Mac/Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might not support all 10 bit variations (4:1:1, 4:2:2, 4:2:0 etc). I think AVC and HEVC can support 4:4:4 chroma sampling but I am not sure in Intel's Quick Sync can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah right that may be part of the issue then. I just had a read on Wikipedia and apparently 10th gen processors have HEVC 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 Quick Sync encoding/decoding, so probably not that common yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gavin,

I've been told, "anything is possible with software." So, I think it is possible and hopefully Adobe engineering will add that as a feature as soon as possible. You can certainly make a feature request for that here.

I am not aware of what other NLEs can do in this regard. Maybe someone else can chime in. I can also move this post to the hardware forum, if you like. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, from what I've read it "should" be possible, but I don't know enough about that stuff, I'm just assuming that for now it's not popular enough for Adobe to spend time and money on it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no update on this. Still waiting to buy a new 10bit camera.

Looks like I need to find new software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvenc nor Quick Sync support all the variations of H.264 at this time regaurdless of the software you choose. The M1 CPU from Apple can encode and decode more varaiations H.264 but so will the new 10nm CPUs comming from Intel in 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated to premiere cc v15 and it seems that the test footage I have from an a7siii now works with quicksync. I put the same clip back into version v14 and it didnt work so adobe have definitely updated something! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction - now it's not working again. Not even in v14.0.

I give up. Resolve, here I come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quick Sync has been cutting out on me the last couple versions. The Adobe programmers need to figure out why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines