• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HEVC issue on one computer but no HEVC issue on another...

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I have two computers (one a laptop, one a PC, which is a recent aquirement, both built with gaming in mind) 

I've been using the laptop for about 2 years now. I know that MKV isn't supported in Premiere Pro and so I'm well aware of remuxing a file to switch the container from MKV to MP4. I've done this a number of successful methods, and Premiere Pro on my laptop read it fine. 

However, those same remuxed files that work on my laptop don't seem to be readable on the Premiere Pro on my computer. And it's not in a usual way either.

There's no error recorded, nothing telling me I can't import the file. What's also strange is that it'll bring the file in and I can drag it to my timeline and if I have the video set to hidden, everything in Premiere Pro works fine and the audio plays perfectly well. However, if I turn the video back on and try to scrub through the timeline the display will freeze to one frame (usually black but I have gotten one frame from the file frozen before). The program won't freeze at first either, but gradually becomes things will start freezing (like the timeline head, or if I open the settings). I can even go as far as choosing to close the project or close the entire program and it'll prompt me if I want to save the file! Yes or no the program will then become completely unresponsive and through multiple clicks will frost over and ONLY THEN it'll tell me that Premiere Pro isn't responding.

It's strange because it's not a straight forward freeze, crash, or even a rejection of the file. It's like it wants to read it but it can't and slowly breaks down.  It's just weird because I'd have thought the computer would be able to handle this file even better than my laptop but it doesn't seem that it can handle it at all. 

I also clicked on the "properties" of the file from within Premiere Pro and it says HEVC so I feel that must be the issue. If I re encode the file my PC's Premiere Pro can read it, but of course that option costs me time and quality.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Pro on my PC or do you think it might be to do with my PCs hardware? It has no issue reading other video formats except for HEVC in Premiere Pro it seems.

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The laltop might be using Quick Sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just looked into that for the past hour and couldn't really find anything helpful. I tried going through my laptop settings but after years of HEVC files working fine on PP on there now I'm suddenly having a similar problem with my PC except now on my Laptop! With my laptop, I can still press play without any freezing and crashing, but now only the audio plays and the video is black. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on laptop: I fixed it but the same fix doesn't seem to do anything for my PC (I went into preferences on PP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your laptop has an Intel CPU then it probably has Quick Sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines