Highlighted

HEVC with PPro 2019 - iPhone (variable framerate)

Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2018, for the most part, I'd shot all my iPhone footage H264 and not in HEVC.

Made a mistake early 2019, shot some HEVC and now would like to use that HEVC footage natively in PPro.

It is not working. Here are the clips...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17FKB7klRU9Vrv51-l5tzg_quAPA55uBw

...you'll see the "accidental" HEVC capture with MoviePro in the 20190110 folder and some 1-minute test captures in the 20190119 folder.

None of the HEVC footage is directly usable. I shot a test clip with "Camera" instead of "MoviePro" in case that was an issue.

My original (long,20190110) MoviePro capture seems to loop visually around the first 20 seconds.

The other (test,20190119) captures are me counting up to 60. They seem to show visuals beyond first 20s but are not in sync.

This is NOT me editing with them. Simply importing into PPro and using PPro to skip thru the footage before even dropping into a timeline.

Where's the "variable framerate" checkbox for these clips? I can choose a framerate but I don't see any way to acknowledge they're variable frame rate.

I've tried with 13.0.2 and downgraded to 13.0.1 thinking might be recent issue. (I haven't tried this since mid-2018.)

Please fellow users don't tell me about any transcoding options or downloading from iCloud using "most compatible format" or thoughts on iPhone not being a serious camera for a serious video editing program. If PPro doesn't support HEVC shot on an iPhone then that's all I need to know. I've already ensured going-forward captures are H.264. I need to know for sake of using this clip, and because I don't shoot all the footage I use. People share camcorder footage with me all the time, and I do need to use it.

SABERTOOTH X79 Rev 1.xx

BIOS by American Megaternds v4801

CPU Intel Family 6 Model 25 Stepping 7

i7-3970X @ 3.5GHz

Socket: LGA2011

65536 MB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

nVidia 1080Ti

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

Premiere support hevc but it is having a hard time with variable framerate.

My machine is more powerfull then yours but it cannot handle the 2042 clip; same goes for 2018. It import but that's it. Does not play, stuck on first frame, audio runs.

The other two clips import just fine but the audio is out of sync.

4K HEVC needs proxies and CFR, but you did not hear that from me.......

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HEVC with PPro 2019 - iPhone (variable framerate)

Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2018, for the most part, I'd shot all my iPhone footage H264 and not in HEVC.

Made a mistake early 2019, shot some HEVC and now would like to use that HEVC footage natively in PPro.

It is not working. Here are the clips...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17FKB7klRU9Vrv51-l5tzg_quAPA55uBw

...you'll see the "accidental" HEVC capture with MoviePro in the 20190110 folder and some 1-minute test captures in the 20190119 folder.

None of the HEVC footage is directly usable. I shot a test clip with "Camera" instead of "MoviePro" in case that was an issue.

My original (long,20190110) MoviePro capture seems to loop visually around the first 20 seconds.

The other (test,20190119) captures are me counting up to 60. They seem to show visuals beyond first 20s but are not in sync.

This is NOT me editing with them. Simply importing into PPro and using PPro to skip thru the footage before even dropping into a timeline.

Where's the "variable framerate" checkbox for these clips? I can choose a framerate but I don't see any way to acknowledge they're variable frame rate.

I've tried with 13.0.2 and downgraded to 13.0.1 thinking might be recent issue. (I haven't tried this since mid-2018.)

Please fellow users don't tell me about any transcoding options or downloading from iCloud using "most compatible format" or thoughts on iPhone not being a serious camera for a serious video editing program. If PPro doesn't support HEVC shot on an iPhone then that's all I need to know. I've already ensured going-forward captures are H.264. I need to know for sake of using this clip, and because I don't shoot all the footage I use. People share camcorder footage with me all the time, and I do need to use it.

SABERTOOTH X79 Rev 1.xx

BIOS by American Megaternds v4801

CPU Intel Family 6 Model 25 Stepping 7

i7-3970X @ 3.5GHz

Socket: LGA2011

65536 MB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

nVidia 1080Ti

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

My machine is more powerfull then yours but it cannot handle the 2042 clip; same goes for 2018. It import but that's it. Does not play, stuck on first frame, audio runs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing on your own machine. I was hoping for something like that. Darn.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a solution, just for your info - I could play back all your files without issue in Premiere on my Mac.

The long clip imports with at 30fps frame rate, the others 29.97. I created a 30fps sequence and it worked OK.

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 9.19.16 AM.png

Audio was in sync (or at least not noticeably out of sync) on all clips.

The one thing that will cause poor playback of these files on my machine (stuttering and out of audio sync)  is to have Mercury Transmit

Enabled. If you are using it, you might want to test performance with it off.

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should have clarified I'm not SO worried about smooth and in-sync playback live... yes I can use proxies. It is whether PPro actually understands what-frames-go-with-what-audio for a render.

I pushed all these files thru Media Encoder (to 360p H264) and added those into respective original folders.

The 2 newer 1-minute samples both emerged fine. So yes a proxy ought to work there.

The long IMG_2042 video does not pass thru unmolested, it goes way out of sync... BUT that's not what I see when trying to play back in PPro, which is nothing beyond first ~20s (empty green screen).

I'll mess with settings such as Mercury PLAYBACK ENGINE (?) GPU Acceleration... I've never heard of Mercury Transmit... can I just get confirmation that it is TRANSMIT and not CUDA acceleration we're talking about?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the wrench in the lower right corner of the monitor and you can toggle Transmit on or off (check or uncheck it):

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 6.01.14 AM.png

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... it now plays differently although not properly... still showing lots of empty green screen past start of clip.

Found where VFR is shown... properties of the clip.

File Path: X:\20120229 TR2016\20181204 FFR Fluid Fuel Reactors eBook\Gord Pimping FFR\IMG_2042 Gord Pimp FFR AirPodMic 4K MoviePro.mov

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 1.38 GB

Image Size: 3840 x 2160

Frame Rate: 30.00

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00;08;47;27

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Alpha: None

Video Codec Type: HEVC 4:2:0

Variable Frame Rate Detected

...but the other thing I remember seeing before was this...

...I'm trying to find that and can't... is there a trick there I might be overlooking? I'm selecting footage in Project and selecting footage in timeline... no Variable Frame Rate Mode for this HEVC clip.

Jumping to an older 4K H264 clip, I do see that option (in Effect Controls), by selecting the MOV clip in project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I tried with the MoviePro file and it played all the way thru just fine,

So I downloaded the iPhone version and after about 12 seconds the video jumped and then it was quite out of sync from that point on. Then I added the MoviePro file back in, and I got the jump in video and then out of sync. I did  manage to get it to play back entirely in sync, but it was hit-or-miss.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines