• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Holding a 2 second clip for 5 seconds, etc.

Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a stupid question but ... I am constantly needing to hold a clip for longer than the duration of the clip and Premiere fights me on it.

Let's say I animate in a little dancing bear who comes into the bottom of the screen and then just remains there. Or I animate a name and title coming onscreen. My original animation lasts, say, three seconds but I need the final frame to remain onscreen for 12 seconds.

I'd like to play the 3-second animation, and then freeze on the last frame and hold that for 9 seconds. But Premiere won't let me. Since the original clip was only 3 seconds long, the longest Premiere will let me hold a freeze frame is 3 seconds. 

So I have to either create three separate instances of the freeze frame and put them back-to-back, or I have to render out the final frame of the animation as a separate image file and then import that into Premiere, or some other semi-kludgy work-around. 

I'd like to just say "Hold on this frame" and have Premiere hold on that frame for as long as I want. Why is this so hard? Am I missing something obvious?

TIA.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step to the last frame of the clip, make a freeze frame and display that as long as you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. So ... I've been using Add Frame Hold from the pop-up menu. I presume that's the wrong way to be doing it, and I should be creating the freeze frame elsewhere?
pr1.jpgpr2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add the frame hold before the last frame (not at the end of the clip) it should let you drag it out to the length you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean. Frame holds apply to the entire clip, don't they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add Frame Hold does not have a pop-up menu. Your screenshots are incorrect. The popup menu is for Frame Hold Options (as the effect already suggests).

Frame Hold Option: entire clip

Add Frame Hold: Cut the clip at the CTI and the rest of the clip is frozen. (Richards suggestion)

Insert Frame Hold Segments: adds a freeze-frame for 2 second at the given point of the CTI.

Many people find this Frame Hold confusing and use an Export Frame feature instead.

There is no right way or wrong way of doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. So I should "Add Frame Hold" and leave the Frame Hold Options set to Sequence Timecode. Correct?

If Frame Hold Options are set to In Point or Out Point or Source Time Code, then the length of the held clip is limited to the length of the original clip (for some reason).

But if Frame Hold Options are set to Sequence Timecode, then I can hold that frame forever.

I'm not sure I understand why the different options act as they do but thank you very much for helping me with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think the frame hold can only last as long as the video clip. If your animation video is only 3 seconds long and you want to hold it for 12 seconds I think you will have to copy and paste the frame hold video a few times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines