• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hot to apply a Transition to a single layer?

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I apply a transition between two clips (titles) without affecting the video layers below??? Tried to nest, make a new sequence, but the transition still affects the video on the layer below.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They usually do. Which transition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain further? perhaps a screen recording?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, thanks a lot for your help.

I have two layers. The one below is the main video layer, with the interview. Above this layer, I have titles, like his name, logos, and other informations about what he is saying. Well, I want to apply some transitions on the layer above the video, on the titles. For example, If I place a transition like  "Dip to black" between two titles (on the layer above the video) during his speech, the main video below will go black together with the titles, I don´t want that. I need this transition to affect only the titles layer, that happens to be above the video, without affecting all the layers below. I guess it would be like in Photoshop when you hold "Alt/Option" and click between layers to apply a layer or effect only to the one below it.

Is there a way to do it???  Thanks a lot again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want one title to fade out and another to fade in? If so put a one frame gap between the two titles and add a dissolve to the end of each clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dip to black does what it does: it dips to black.

Use a cross dissolve instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dip to black will affect the layers beneath it, this is normal behavior because as Ann mentioned, it will dip to black.
Theoretically speaking, if you want it to affect only the top layer, you will end up with a black banner that it dips to and from.

as Richard mentioned, the best way is to either leave to gap between the 2 text layers and apply dissolve or place each of the text layer on a different track where they are not superimposing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found changing from a dip to black to and Additive dissolve on the top layers gave me the end result I was after. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks SimSteve. I get that the dip to black is "doing it's job," but in other software it only effects the item it is attached to (and not the layer beneath). So I too was trying to use it to fade in text on a second layer. It was also dipping the video beneath to black as well. I appreciate finding your remedy to use "additive dissolve"...giving me exactly what I wanted, without having to go in and keyframe the opacity of each text clip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines