Highlighted

HOTKEY - "Set in and out point for clip at Playhead"

New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

Been searching inside of Premiere's new hotkey keyboard panel and cannot find this shortcut anymore to save my life. Does anybody know if they failed to migrate it to their new keyboard type setup for hotkeys or changed the name?

I've found "Select Clip at playhead" but that only selects the clips, not set an in and out point over the entire clip. Did they change the name of this hotkey by chance?

That's a good clue. Some shortcuts are specific to panels and can override non-panel specific shortcuts. This behavior is color-coded in Premiere's shortcut viewer. Perhaps you have defined a shortcut to be panel-specific or defined a conflicting shortcut that overrides your shortcut in the timeline window.

If all else fails you can try using a different shortcut preset (drop-down at top of shortcut viewer) and see if that works.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HOTKEY - "Set in and out point for clip at Playhead"

New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

Been searching inside of Premiere's new hotkey keyboard panel and cannot find this shortcut anymore to save my life. Does anybody know if they failed to migrate it to their new keyboard type setup for hotkeys or changed the name?

I've found "Select Clip at playhead" but that only selects the clips, not set an in and out point over the entire clip. Did they change the name of this hotkey by chance?

That's a good clue. Some shortcuts are specific to panels and can override non-panel specific shortcuts. This behavior is color-coded in Premiere's shortcut viewer. Perhaps you have defined a shortcut to be panel-specific or defined a conflicting shortcut that overrides your shortcut in the timeline window.

If all else fails you can try using a different shortcut preset (drop-down at top of shortcut viewer) and see if that works.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding you correctly, the shortcut is called "Mark In" and "Mark Out" is assigned to 'i' and 'o' by default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have those shortcuts already mapped and used them often. The shortcut I am looking for however creates an in and an out point over the clip your playhead currently sits over top of.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you  mean "Mark Clip", which is assigned to 'x' by default.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is what I am after, however, it doesn't seem to be functioning properly. It only sets an in and out point if I am selected within the program monitor, not the timeline.

I'm trying to be able to move around my timeline and set in/out over a clip with a single button. Hmm, I'll keep playing around!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me. The track the clip is on must have its track targeting enabled otherwise the clip wont be selected. The track targeting is the blue V1/A1, V2/A2, etc... just to the right of the lock icon on the lef-hand side of the timeline.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a short article with an animated GIF showing where the track targeting is:

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/use-track-targeting-navigate-premieres-timeline/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I'm aware how the track targeting works. My Clip "Selection" works just fine but the "Mark Clip" does not set in and out points for the clip I am hovering over top of. It's beginning to look to me like "Mark Clip" has bugged out this past update, at least for me on my end.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe the individual steps you're performing? When you say "hover" that implies you're moving the mouse pointer over the clip before pressing 'x' rather than moving the playhead first. Btw, there's a separate shortcut for moving the playhead to the current cursor position if that's what you're after as well - it's called "Move playhead to cursor". It's not assigned by default - I have mine assigned to Shift+C.

So my workflow to set the timeline's in/out point to a clip the mouse pointer is hovering over is Shift+C then 'x'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing.

So to detail out what I am looking for: Let's say I want to replace Clip A on my timeline with Clip B in my source monitor. I am looking to be able to set an in and out point very quickly over top of Clip A (I'm able to do this in AVID no problem and could do this in Premiere up until this point). The method I used to use is to move my playhead in the timeline window to align over top of some part of Clip A. Then I toggle on the track (V1) that my clip is located on. This zeros in on the exact clip on my timeline that I am looking to set an in and an out point over top of. At this point, I just hit "T" (my shortcut for Mark Clip) and I get an In and Out point covering Clip A.

From here, I am able to hit "B" (My 'overwrite' hotkey) which simply replaces Clip A in my timeline with Clip B from my source monitor.

This method I am able to stay away from using the mouse due to moving with arrow keys and I am able to consolidate this process of replacing Clip A with Clip B into a 2 hotkey process.

Also, thanks for helping Horshack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forward slash?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what hotkey that is on your end

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forward slash is "Mark Selection", which is the same as "Mark Clip" except it does it for the selected clip rather than the clip the playhead is over.

If I understand your workflow correctly it sounds like you have everything you need but for some reason the "Mark Clip" isn't working for you. Just to recount, you've moved the playhead on the timeline over the clip you're interested in. You press 'T' (your shortcut to "Mark Clip") but the in/out point in the timeline for the clip the playhead is over isn't being set to that clip?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is 100% correct. I've used this method countless times without issues until I updated my Premiere last night.

I also tried "Mark Selection" to see if it would set an in and out point after I selected the clip, but that didn't work either.

I'm wondering if there is a master setting somewhere that is not allowing for me to set in/out points this way in my timeline window. Going to dig through some settings to see if anything is causing this, directly or indirectly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if neither Mark Selection nor Mark Clip are working then that points to a more general issue. Just to make sure basic in/out timeline functionality is working for you, can you confirm that manually setting an in/out point via 'i' and 'o' on the timeline still works?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I can confirm that. I am able to hit "I" and "O" to create in and out points, respectively. That is from within the timeline window.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Sounds like an interesting issue then

Can you try this on a brand-new project+sequence, to see if the issue is unique to a specific project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. I'll give that a whirl

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, still not working within a brand new project and new footage.

It's quite a strange one. The command does not work within the timeline window at all which is frustrating. But the second I jump to the 'Program Monitor' and scrub the timeline from within that window, it allows the function to work properly. It's just very impractical to jump windows like that for editing.

I appreciate the help Horshack!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 1
New Here ,
May 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there we have it folks! Horshack, thank you so much for the help. Mark Clip was being overridden by a few other shortcuts in timeline panel section.

Got it working again like normal. Phew! Now I can finally edit again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What You're looking for is called. "MARK SELECTION" in keyboard shortcuts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2018 1
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0