• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't drag video into timeline premiere cc

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 4.36.25 PM (2).png

[Text formatting corrected.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , FAQ , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Hi,
You're here because you can't drag either audio or video to the Timeline. Sorry for the frustration!

SOLUTION: Make sure Source Patching is set up correctly in the Timeline. The video below explains it visually.

Video tutorial

HOW TO:

1. SELECT: Select the Clip in the Project panel. Blue Boxes should "light up" in the far left of the timeline. If they don't, go to Step 2.
  2. PATCH: Click the V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable them in the far left of the Timeline. (see the image). 
  3. EDIT: Drag the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

After doing the latest updates with CC 2015 this became an issue. Have been working with PP since 2004 and never had this issue. Dont know why its started after the update.

Thanks for the fix

Clover

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked like a charm_thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann, big help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've been tearing my hair out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Ann!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick! Thanks Ann.

Why we need two boxes to highlight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because an editor might want to place B-roll on V2 or Voice over on A4.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this response. It's the second time this has happened. I have no idea why the v1 box on the left deselects by itself. I know I didn't deselect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Iwas getting desparate trying to transform video to timeline and not been able to do so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and had to built my entire project from scratch, which fixed the problem. Now my older QT movies won't be recognized as media without running them through the media encoder with a different QT codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Sometimes you can't click "V1," and that's probably going to indicate a problem with your source footage. Usually transcoding the clip in something like Handbrake (as Media Encoder will also probably have the same issue as Premiere, no working importer) can work to get the project finished.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i am trying to import my 6 gig footage file into premiere and it froze and replied its not respnding multiple times and now it worked but it only shows the media pending and i cant use it plz i need helpScreenshot (14).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok well now this worked but now when i move my play marker it takes a while to travel there or indicate i moved it and i cant press play and also now pp is crashing more often when will the full release of pp 2020 come out cause theres a lot of problems it seems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
You're here because you can't drag either audio or video to the Timeline. Sorry for the frustration!

SOLUTION: Make sure Source Patching is set up correctly in the Timeline. The video below explains it visually.

Video tutorial

HOW TO:

1. SELECT: Select the Clip in the Project panel. Blue Boxes should "light up" in the far left of the timeline. If they don't, go to Step 2.
  2. PATCH: Click the V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable them in the far left of the Timeline. (see the image). 
  3. EDIT: Drag the clip to the Timeline (or click a button or use a keyboard shortcut for an Insert or Overwrite edit in the Source Monitor).

Source Patcher for V1 & A1 must be enabledSource Patcher for V1 & A1 must be enabled

Notes:

1. Source patching is where most errors are made when you cannot drag an A/V clip into the timeline. 

• If one Source Patcher and the other is not enabled, when you drag your clip in, your edit will only include audio or video.
  • If no Source Patchers are selected, when you drag a clip, no clip can be edited to the timeline.

2. Source Patching should be automatic:

• Once a clip is selected in the Project panel. 
  • Once a clip is double-clicked in the Project panel and loaded into the Source Monitor.

3. If Source Patching is not working automatically when selecting a clip or when loading into the Source Monitor:

• Try clicking the buttons in the timeline manually.
  • If a clip is not supported for automatic patching, you may not be able to click either A1 or V1 (or both). In that case, you may need to transcode the file in non-Adobe product, such as, Handbrake.

4. Track Targeting: The other two blue boxes that say V1 and A1 are for track targeting, which come into play after you edit clips into the timeline. Don't let those confuse you. You don't need to be concerned with them when simply dragging clips to the timeline. The ones on the far left are the important ones in solving this problem. The boxes to the right do not come into play until you start editing for things like copy and pasting to another track, etc.

5. Source Patching issues happen most frequently with screen captured video that has variable frame rates, which is a very popular format editors use these days. That is why it is more important than ever to be focused on source patching when editing such footage. The issue doesn't commonly happen with footage coming from camcorders, etc.

This is a very common, yet crucial, bit of info that gets by a lot of editors when they are starting out, so you wouldn't be alone. 

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2019 Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! Solved immediately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havea slightly different situation.  I have a video and audio track enabled as described above, but still only audio will show up when I drag.  I can, however, right click on the clip and choose "new sequence from clip".  Once I've done that, I copy the clip in the new sequence, then paste into the first one that would not let me drag and it works fine.

That tells me that I do not need to transcode my footage because premiere created a sequence from it with no issues, and I can then past that clip from one sequence to another, no issues.  Sure would be nice to be able to skip that roundabout step and just drag the clip directly where I want it to go...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Professor, 
What is the camera that this clip came from? If it was a screen captured clip, it probably has variable frame rate. Did you try manually selecting V1 first? If that works, you will not need to do the "New Sequence from Clip" maneuver. If that did not work manually, please let me know.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work again. Is there anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots are enormously helpful, Dan. Hope you got back on track.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video by Caroline Sears has been added to the correct answer.
It has already helped 4, 441 folks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I getting the same error in 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thank you!  New user of Premiere Pro.  Ran into this problem and scratched my head for hours...until I found the perfect answer right here. It worked! Amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a big help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a huge help, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines