• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I edit attached proxies in different resolution - without needing to resize?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Im spending days now, figuring out the best workflow for editing my mini-series in premiere. 

Heres my workflow so far:

Im having original footage in 4K (4096 x 2160) and proxies, that were already generated in the camera, in 2K (2048 x 1080).

Since our delivery will be in 2K, im also planning to edit in a 2K sequence. 
BUT – here comes the problem:
When i import the original footage and link it with the smaller resolution proxies, even after unlinking the original 4K footage, the clip still remains in 4K resolution. So, editing these proxy-clips, based on the original footage, always requires me to resize the clip, to fit in my 2K timeline. Even though the proxy itself is already in 2K. This is weird and confusing. I have 26 shooting days and definitely dont want to resize clips on every edit i do.

I alternatively could of course NOT import original footage, but directly import the smaller proxies and relink them to original media later, but i think this isnt a) the idea behind the workflow of "attaching a proxy" and b) id somehow feel safer to maintain the direction from "raw to proxy" and not the other way round. I hope you know what i mean?

Desperately hoping for any smarter way of solving this! 

Huge thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing something key here, and it's why proxies work.

Of course, when you have proxies, the sequence will 'think' in the original media frame-size! Don't do anything weird trying to outhink it, as you'll be causing problems for yourself. Just treat it as if you were working the original 4k, including all scaling.

Import the original media, link to proxies, set your sequence size, and go to work. Size the images as needed, as you see ... whether the proxies are toggled on or off, the image should be the same.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Neil! Seems like i really succesfully confused myself in this regard. 
I treated it as 4K – just as you said – and everything works fine. Lovely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

gotta say I always create proxies with pixel dimensions that match my camera original...  I've had 4 camera multicamera sequences that play on an old 2009 macpro with a decent graphics card with prores proxy proxies without issue.  Nice to know Premiere will handle the issue, but...  I like to keep things simple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines