• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I exit the title tool with a keyboard shortcut?

Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

after I am finished with the typing I would like to exit the tile tool without using the the selection tool. 

I am typing so it would be nice to have the ability to confirm my text with a kind of short cut. 

Like "alt return" (this is used in after effects) .

Why can´t we make so things the same over the different apps that we are using? (photoshop is also 

alt return , when I recall that correctly. 

It´s very painfull. 

thanxs 

Peter 

rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.>Be content with what you have;
the whole world belongs to you.
TOPICS
Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Not at the computer right now, but i think the ESC-key is what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at the computer right now, but i think the ESC-key is what you are looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So ESC is the overall key to confirm text in title tools? 

Does that apply to other apps too? 

After Effects does not work this way ? If ESC is pressed it Escapes from the title. 

It´s gone. That´s why I never imagined that this could be the key. 

Any thoughts on this? 

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some odd reason Adobe use different ways to exit out from typing instead of using only one (1) command in all applications.

Odd, confusing and irritating things that is in no way efficient for the customers workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Across the software industry there are two widely used conventions for getting out of a text object:

• Esc key
  • Enter key (the secondary Enter key on the number pad, not the primary Enter key on the main keyboard)

The Esc key is used by some applications to escape a text object and save changes. One reason it's popular is that Microsoft Office does this in some places. Personally, I think the Esc key is wrong for this because Esc is also a shortcut for Cancel and Command/Ctrl-period, where you don't want to save the changes. Adobe Acrobat uses Esc to commit text, and naturally I think that is wrong, but the Acrobat team is known for following MS Office more closely than the more creative Adobe applications, due to the large installed base of Acrobat in businesses. Adobe Premiere Pro also uses Esc to commit text in titles, and I don't agree with that either.

The secondary Enter key on the number pad is used to commit text object edits by some Adobe applications, including InDesign, Photoshop, and After Effects. These applications use Esc to exit a text object without saving changes. I think these applications work correctly. In Photoshop, it's a preference; you can set whether you want to commit text using Enter or Esc. Note that on keyboards without a number pad, you can still get the second Enter key by pressing Fn+Enter.

The reason the secondary Enter key is used to commit text is that if you press the primary one on the main keyboard, you enter a new paragraph, which is as expected.

As for why it doesn't work the same way in all Adobe applications, many of them started at different times under different companies and were brought together over time. The case of the titler in Premiere Pro is a little different; it's a consequence of the rapid iteration model where they initially released a basic version of a rewritten titler (Essential Graphics) and have added features to it over time to catch up to where the old titler was, but still have not fully matured all parts of it. The keyboard shortcuts for text editing are an example of this, since they're so far behind other Adobe applications. For example, you can't use standard Adobe shortcuts for kerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you have the correct answer already 🙂 but you can also use ctrl+enter to exit typing mode same as ESC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanxs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines