• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can i import a previously exported clip and edit using the original edits?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm fairly new to premier pro ...well, editing in general.  My problem is I've exported a fairly log clip that theres lots of editing in, I now need to add more to it. Is there an easy way to get this clip back into PP and to use the original edits? I've imported it back in but there are no edits :(. Many Thanks. Jo x

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer no.

You need the original timeline with the original clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann. How can I keep a copy of the original clip when I export? Should I make a copy of the whole clip on the same timeline and only export one of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you want to edit the original you keep the project file and the original clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export your edits from Premiere, you're creating a standalone video file like .mp4 or .mpv.

These don't have your edits.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

when you export it doesn't really MOVE your clips and edits and effects OUT .. it makes a totally new product according the export settings.... usually for viewing only ( like mp4 ).  That export should maybe be called " make representation of final edit in a new file created by PPro ".

So, if you still have the original project and source materials on your hard drive, you can just open that up and do what you want.

If, you deleted the project ( and probably deleted original source material ) then there is a thing called SCENE DETECTION that can sometimes be used on the re-imported EXPORT to re-create the cuts you made. It won't work good on all cuts and transitions ( like cross dissolves ), but it might help.

The other way is to manually go through the whole thing frame by frame and make NEW cuts so you can add new stuff in between them.

The final product will be slightly less high quality than your original cause you will more than likely be using compressed export and then when you export the new thing it will be compressed again,, but that might not matter in your case.

good luck

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines