How do I combine two timelines retaining the spaces in the first timeline?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, apologies I'm unsure of the jargon in Premiere Pro, here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a timeline (timeline 1) with no gaps in it - just one long sequence

I have another timeline (timeline 2) that consists of multiple short clips with spaces between them

I want to paste timeline2 into timeline1 so it creates one combined sequence with no gaps whilst retaining the spacing of timeline2.

For example if I take two clips in timeline 2, hold down ctrl and drag them into timeline1 - timeline 1 extends by the length of the two clips (good) but it creates a gap in the sequence and when I ripple delete the gap the two clips end up being joined together whereas I want them spaced out the way they were before I added them to timeline 2.

Apologies for this hopeless description of the problem lol, but hopefully someone can figure out from that what I'm trying to do and advise?

Many thanks

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How do I combine two timelines retaining the spaces in the first timeline?

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, apologies I'm unsure of the jargon in Premiere Pro, here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a timeline (timeline 1) with no gaps in it - just one long sequence

I have another timeline (timeline 2) that consists of multiple short clips with spaces between them

I want to paste timeline2 into timeline1 so it creates one combined sequence with no gaps whilst retaining the spacing of timeline2.

For example if I take two clips in timeline 2, hold down ctrl and drag them into timeline1 - timeline 1 extends by the length of the two clips (good) but it creates a gap in the sequence and when I ripple delete the gap the two clips end up being joined together whereas I want them spaced out the way they were before I added them to timeline 2.

Apologies for this hopeless description of the problem lol, but hopefully someone can figure out from that what I'm trying to do and advise?

Many thanks

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 01, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a couple of screenshots of what you're trying to achieve?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image1.JPG

Sure, so in the screenshot there's the blue timeline - I don't want to overwrite anything in this timeline, everything needs to be retained. I want to add both the purple clips into the blue timeline exactly where they are and for the blue timeline to ripple shift to accomodate them. End result being the blue timeline has extended by the length of the two clips. I can obviously just hold down ctrl and drag each purple clip into the blue timeline and that gets me what I want - but there are hundreds of purple clips so I wanted a way to merge them all at once. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now it makes sense.

Side note, what you're referring to as timeline is actually called a track, the timeline is the whole thing containing all the audio and video tracks.

There's no "one-click" thing to do it, but here's how you can proceed to do it quickly.

1 - Make sure V2 and A2 only are highlighted in blue.

temp.jpg

2 - Go to Sequence and make sure Selection Follows playhead is checked.

temp.jpg

3 - Move your playhead to before the first purple clip. Using the down arrow will move the playhead to the start of the first clip and it will be automatically selected. Now press CTRL+X to cut the clip and then CTRL+SHIFT+V to ripple paste it. Press the down arrow to move to the next clip and repeat. You should end up with a timeline looking like this.

temp.jpg

4 - That's it, you can move the clips now down if you want them on the same track.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant thank you! It's a shame there's no way to do it all at once, but this will save a lot of time anyway. Many thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 02, 2020 0