• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I convert a mono clip (already on the timeline) to a stereo clip?

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to convert a clip on the timeline from Mono to Stereo.  I cannot for the life of me figure it out.  I have tried "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition" converted it to stereo there, and saved it, but it doesn't change the clip on the timeline. 

I figure there must be some way to change the properties of that specific audio track in my sequence, but I'm not seeing how to do that.

thanks,

Danny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the help file for FILL LEFT or FILL RIGHT to copy your left or right mono sound to the other audio track

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no 'other' channel to fill because it's mono. You're talking about when you have a stereo file and one of the channels is silent you can copy over from the one with sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont need to fix this: a mono clip in a stereo timeline will play over to both channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true. I just put my mono clip on a stereo track and I've tried everything for the past 3 hours and only comes out on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem.  The stereo audio clip plays in stereo in the Source panel but when dropped into my timeline it plays in Mono from the Left only.  When I try to modify the Audio Channels there is only the Left Channel available.  The Preset button and Clip Channel Format button are both greyed-out.

1.  I tried the Edit In Adobe Audition option.  Exported a new stereo audio clip.  Didn't work.

2.  I tried duplicating the audio track in my timeline, dragging below the original track, and Linking them.  Didn't work.

My solution was to go to the original audio clip in my Project panel, right-click and select New Sequence from Clip.  The audio plays in stereo inside that new sequence.  I dropped that new sequence into my timeline and Poof! the audio plays in stereo.  I unlinked and deleted the video track associated with the sequence and just edited the audio track as if it were an audio clip.

It's a weird work-around but that's par-for-the-course with Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah but if I want to for example link the two clips, It won't allow me to do so.  It can be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the clip in the timeline. Hit Show in Project. Right click the audio and click Modify / Audio Channels. Change Preset and/or Clip Channel Format to Stereo. Double click to verify in Source window the clip is playing in stereo. Go back to clip in timeline. Match frame and replace.

-- Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom!

Unfortunately for me this makes all my clips in sequence go out of sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the editing is already done, the simplest thing is that at the moment of exporting, in the export settings, you make sure it is in stereo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me!!! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it helped! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Danny,

I always thought of mono as "the same in both channels." Are you referring to a clip that is mono but not being heard equally in L and R? I just want to make sure I understand. I've had to do a lot of work lately with 2-channel stereo audio (where two interview subjects each have their own mic, and I have to do the "fill left" or "fill right" mentioned above)...but I wasn't sure if this is what you meant.

You mentioned working with the file in Audition - could you replace the existing file in Premiere with the reworked version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it by making the track balance central, so it is possible, and easy!

Though it was a bit temperamental. Seems ok at the moment though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! But you through me with track balance. Now I see it is "Panner" in the clips "Effects" panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!

(we have to do that in clip mixer not track mixer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did find the stereo expander plugin and turned the feild all the way to narrow and that got the desired result for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the easiest and fastest solution, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is our Solution in Tips 2 Fix 

https://youtu.be/0F-B61MoqNE

Hello after so many request for Audio tutorials session , in this video tutorial I'm explaining How to Convert Audio from Mono to Stereo In Adobe Audition and Audacity 2020, this Softwares are both very popular and professional. 00:00 intro 00:27 Using Adobe Audition For Converting from Mono To ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured out the solution. Just right click your sequenc and go to Sequence settings. Under Audio change the number of channels from 1 to 2. That will do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS4 and none of the fixes worked for me, but I found that if you exported just the audio as a MP3 file and then imported it the sound the result will be Stereo. you may have to adjust the length of the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the audio file in your project panel.

Modify > Audio Channels

Change from stereo to mono.

Add the clip to your timeline and it will play across both channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issue and nothing was working. Didn't make sense to me because it was a stereo clip, but later when it was already edited in the timeline it went to mono. Tried the options in this forum, tried exporting as a Stereo WAV file to reimport, etc. Nothing worked.

Messed around and found a solution on my end:

Right click the audio track on the timeline > Track Output Channel Assignments > Check off Channel 1 and 2 under the same channel (or depending on how the audio was recorded it may be a different variation) and then it reverted back to a stereo clip for me instead of mono.

Not too sure how it went to mono, and not sure why the other options didn't work for me. Just wanted to add my solution to the mix incase down the line someone else needed more trouble shooting options! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only option that works without making new sequences or re-creating timelines. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a New Project-Create New Sequence-Right CLick on the Sequence in your Project window-Go to modify-Audio Channels-make sure it is set to Stereo. Open MONO project-Copy Your Video and audio clips from your edited timeline- Paste them into the new Projects sequence. Unfortunately, if you have multiple sequences, you must do this for each. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines