• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get Premiere into 21:9 aspect ratio properly? Not trying to use 'crop' or a PNG...

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, my next project is a music video (using a Canon t7i in 1080, not 4k) and I want it to have the 'cinematic' 21:9 widescreen look. Been researching this for days now and just can't find a good answer:

How do I get Premiere into 21:9 aspect ratio properly? One YouTube video I watched did some confusing math and said to change the pixels in Sequence settings to 1920x822, but when I change the horizontal & vertical pixels, Premiere says the ratio is 320:137, not 21:9. I'm confused as to why Premiere doesn't say that the ratio is 21:9 when I change the pixels to 1920x822 ?

I've also seen other videos/articles on this topic doing some more confusing math, but they came up with changing the pixels in Sequence settings to 1920x803 & another one said 1920x800. When I entered both into Premiere, again the aspect ratio did not say 21:9, it said 12:5 & 1920:803. I'm beyond confused haha.

Another question I have is about a Desview R7P video monitor I use. This monitor has a feature called "Mark Ratio" where it places lines on the video to help you know what will get cut-off when filming due to the fact you'll be changing the aspect ratio to 21:9 in Premiere.

My question is: This monitor has pre-set "Mark Ratio" settings of 4:3, 16:10, 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 2.40:1 - Which one of these is good for the 21:9 look?

Very confusing stuff, thanks!!!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

* First, I make the assumption that your video you recorded started as 1920x1080 and your intent is to take this frame size and convert it to a 21:9 timeline.  This would imply you want to keep your full 1920 width, which drives my statements below.   If your starting width is higher, you can sub that into the math below and you will get the new correct vertical height.  I also assumed square pixels.

1920x822 is 21:9 (Almost)

A math pure 21:9 would be 1920x.822.8571

Premier is showing you the exa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* First, I make the assumption that your video you recorded started as 1920x1080 and your intent is to take this frame size and convert it to a 21:9 timeline.  This would imply you want to keep your full 1920 width, which drives my statements below.   If your starting width is higher, you can sub that into the math below and you will get the new correct vertical height.  I also assumed square pixels.

1920x822 is 21:9 (Almost)

A math pure 21:9 would be 1920x.822.8571

Premier is showing you the exact math ratio.

You can use this formula to get the Width x Height if you know the aspect ratio you want.

=(X/Xr)*Hr

X = Width of the frame you want

Xr = is the ratios of first Digit (for example in 21:9 it would be the 21)

Hr = is the ratio of the second Digit (for example in 21:9 it would be 9)

Excel formula

=(1920/21)*9

this generates the 822.xxxx value for your vertical height.

What I cant decode is the pixel aspect ratio.  I assumed a square pixel for the math I did.

Here is the more common resolution:

What Is Aspect Ratio? (16:9, 21:9, 4:3) [Simple Guide] - DisplayNinja

I think typically the 21:9 aspect ratio is filmed at a much higher horizontal width and you downscale it to the 21:9 frame you want.  As you will see from the link from 'displayninja'

I have nothing for you on your monitor situation/question.

Hopefully it helps you sort out your goal of getting to 21:9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also this should be good help to you:

Aspect Ratio Cheat Sheet — Firehouse Creative (wearethefirehouse.com)

You will notice if you device the 21:9  (ie =21/9 you get 2.3333 ) that will give you a clue as to how the numbers translate back and forth.  The link above does an excellent job with common frame size and aspect rations, and shows you the decimal (for example 2.3333) and the ratio numbers so you can decode it better;

I'm not sure if there is a better answer for you, I've never worked in that ratio, Its more than likely you will need to wait for a better answer from one of the more experienced people here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for this explanation! Makes sense to me now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines