• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Make Playhead Return To Original Position in PrPro?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I've recently switched from Sony Vegas to PrPro for video editing, and there's 3 features I miss from SVPro.

One of which is when I press stop (Space) the Playhead returns to where I started it, NOT from the beginning of the clip or timeline,

but from the spot I started the playback (i.e. I start the playback at 1 minute and 37 seconds, I let it play for about 50 second and I press space, then it returns to 1 minute 37 seconds) How do I enable this in PrPro? I'm using PrPro CC 2015.

The other 2 features I miss would be awesome to have, so IF you know of a way to do this I'd love it.

Why doesn't the audio waveform show when I move the clip with a mouse? It does in SVPro and it helps syncing or matching audio/music up with a clip perfectly with ease and fast, whereas this process is a lot slower and tedious in PrPro. Is there any way I can make the waveform show even when moving audio clips with the mouse?

And WHY can't I implement clips recorded with Nvidia Shadowplay without it going out of sync? That's the main reason I switched to using SVPro (Back in the day I started with PrPro but the sync problem and the task to fix it took way too long, SVPro made the entire process 50 times faster) Is there a fix for this too? I know shadowplay records 60 FPS variable framerate, but can't I get a feature or put on a setting where it takes this into account and DOESN'T de-sync it?

Of course the MAIN subject is the playhead, I really miss this feature, but if any of you know an easy and quick fix for the other 2 I'd love it! (I've not updated PrPro because I don't like setting things up anew, I'm stubborn yes I know - If all of these features are in newer versions please let me know and I'll get those installed ASAP)

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

The playhead remains where it stops (as it should).  There is no other behavior available.

You can get the audio close, and then nudge it using ALT+< or ALT+> shortcuts for fine adjustments.  The waveform will remain visible during that move.

Premiere Pro is designed for professionals.  Gaming videos don't qualify.  You'll have an easier time using a consumer level editor that can handle consumer video formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The playhead remains where it stops (as it should).  There is no other behavior available.

You can get the audio close, and then nudge it using ALT+< or ALT+> shortcuts for fine adjustments.  The waveform will remain visible during that move.

Premiere Pro is designed for professionals.  Gaming videos don't qualify.  You'll have an easier time using a consumer level editor that can handle consumer video formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm okay, would've been cool if it the other behavior was available too - Will just have to stick with it ^_^

Thanks for the reply though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a shame that there is no such simple action in such powerful software.

Even Adobe Audition has the ability to return the playhead to the original position after stop.

Even so, I always try to work around the limitations of software using Autohotkey software. But Premiere's list of internal controls is so messed up that I could not even do that.

Very sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is - I get that it's professional software and that's why I like it, I create other stuff than "Just" gaming videos.
It's a simple feature that I know is just something I have to get used to NOT having, but I still really liked it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is to file a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop undermining people's editing habits, it is the same with da vinci studio. Playhead goes back to the point when you press pause. What sort of answer is that, keep your biases to yourself man, we are here for solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

.."As it should". I didn't realize editing rules were so rigid. So you never need your playhead to return to the spot you started? I'm working on sound design where I have to return to one spot over and over again. If I zoom in far enough to see the waveforms and work on the effects, then as soon as I hit play, the playhead disappears to the right of me. Then If I hit stop, I now am inches or yards to the right of where I started, and I have to zoom back out, scroll left, and find the spot i was working, then zoom in and do my work. It's funny you think there should be no reason to have the playhead return to where it started. It is something that a sound designer needs 1000 times per day. It's a standard of editing technique to return the playhead to the starting point. If you were using a flatbed you'd have to return the playhead to whatever spot you wanted to edti! I'm not looking to loop the clip or section. I want it to play the entire effect, and if it sounds good, let the program play. But when I hit stop, we should be back to the beginning so I can make adjustments. Your insults about gaming videos are asinine. I'm talking about old-school, real sound design and editing. Where you have to dig in to one section, not just play and listen to the show, letting the computer do the work for you. If you have to actually work on an effect within a timeline, the proper way is to zoom in, work on the effect isolated, then un-solo it and play the larger picture. True sound design involves careful manipulation of all the existing elements, not just playing it from a distance and hoping it sounds good because you can't be bothered with details. 

And frankly, Adobe prides itself on being consumer. It used to be the MOST consumer, before Final Cut starting being installed on all new macs and Davinci took that crown away from both of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is a way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TSZdjOwKws&ab_channel=FatalBulletHit

changing a shorcut to PLAY AROUND, and then changin PRE-ROLL to 0, and POST-ROLL to a high number, like 60.

check the video

sorry for the bad english. i'm from Argentina

bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could set markers, if that would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have mine set up to return to the start position - here's now 

Go to shortcuts - Play Around - set that to Space 

Then go to Edit - Preferences - Playback, set Preroll to 0 seconds and Postroll to 60 seconds.  

That will make you return playhead on pause to the original point (as it should 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Jim_Simon said is wrong there.

Solution is asign spacebar to playaround shortcut and remove space bar key from play-stop. and go into preferences- playback and change post roll option to 60. The only unfortunate thing is it wont let you have it more than 60 which i have been trying to figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines