• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i preserve text between keyframes?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I want to make template for myself, text title with changing fonts over time, like 2 seconds of the same text with 10 different fonts. 
It's easy to make 2-second graphic, it's easy to create keyframes with different fonts, but text keep changing, so that forces me to change text on every keyframe, while i want to be able to change text once and be finished with this task. 
Is there an easy or not solution for this problem?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

You might be able to do it in the latest version of After Effects, here's the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u25t1DAViYg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by text is changing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idea is: I have title in the middle of screen, for example "Title", at 0:00 it's Times New Roman, at 0:20 it's Arial, 0:40 Garamond etc, font is changing with keyframe, but text have to remain the same "Title". But after i've done this template with 10 different fonts, i import this template into other video, and change "Title" to "Text", but it changes only until first font change happens, it stays "Title" on all other parts of this template. I want to be able import this template to other video, change this "Title" to desired new text once, without having to change text on every keyframe

I hope i explained it any good?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text will change because you're keyframing Source Text. And text (words) is a source text.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooo, is there any way to change something to make my idea work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explin it to us in more detail, especially what you mean by text changing? What exactly is happening?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshots of this text changing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm visualizing what you're describing, and unfortunately, I don't think it's possible with keyframes. I'm thinking of a Colin Smith tutorial I saw: https://youtu.be/Q95GXsym9xU which is not about your exact question, but about karaoke lyrics. He does talk about keyframing source text, however. I think if you watch it it may still help you understand how the function works.

One thing he mentions to folks doing karaoke lyrics is that they need to choose the font/format of the text ahead of time, because if you do all your lyrics and then decide to change the font on all of them, there's no easy way to do it. They'll each need to be adjusted individually. Maybe Adobe will improve this someday.

I know this is not your exact goal. But I think the info may be related. Because it shows that animating Source Text is designed for this use case only: one font/format for all lyrics, and only the actual text changing over time. That, I believe is the exact opposite of what you want, correct? You want the same text, but to animate the changing of the font only. In short, trying to keyframe source text is not the way to do it.

Here's my suggestion instead... ignore keyframing altogether here, and:

1. Create one title in Essential Graphics with the text you want. Format it with the first font you want.

2. Place it in the timeline where you want it to start, and adjust its end to ONLY the length of time you want to see that font (2 seconds or whatever). In other words, don't drag out the end of the graphic all the way to the end of 20 seconds, etc. What you have is a 2 second "graphic clip" in the timeline with text and one font only.

3. Copy and paste that graphic into the timeline again right after the original. In the new one, now you have the same text in the same location etc... just change the font. Now you have two separate graphic clips next to each other in the timeline: same text in each but with different fonts. No keyframing. When you play back, you'll get your desired result.

4. You get the idea. Of course continue copying and pasting that two second graphic down the timeline and just changing the font each time.

The unfortunate thing here is that, since this requires multiple separate "clips", I don't think it's possible to save the whole animation as a mogrt, if that's what you wanted. Although mogrts aren't my expertise so maybe I'm wrong. Maybe just nest the whole thing and keep it nearby to import into projects? Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for thorough response, i already did that once, operation you described, in the exact order and the exact steps 🙂 i just thought that there are might be some tools/lifehacks to automate or shorten this process that i didn't knew of due to me being not so experienced. It's not a big waste of time, guess i'll stick with making project of these segmented 2 seconds and will be importing in future projects with changing text in each clip 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viktar5CB8,

After submitting my post I reread yours and felt slightly silly because I realized you probably already got the long way to work but were looking for a shorter way.

My only other thought is: I know that Premiere Pro can create "data-driven" graphics. I personally have never needed this function so I can't speak with authority on it. I've only seen some mentions online. But if you look into it, it may solve your problem. The idea, if you don't already know it, is that PP automatically "draws/writes" the content in a graphic based on data somewhere else. Again, I'm not sure how this works so definitely read up on it yourself and confirm if it will or won't work. But, if my fuzzy understanding is right, you should be able to create a graphic, with perhaps the font changes keyframed, and instead of the actual text, it contains a reference to wherever your data is stored. This would be used by for instance, sportscasters who have prepared a mogrt to display game scores, animated and formatted... but the numbers often and quickly. So the graphic contains a reference to somewhere else instead of text itself.

This is the only other thing I could think of for you. So you could go and change that text once somewhere else, and then it would populate all through your graphic. If you could then save as a mogrt, wow... perfect world. Again, I wish I was experienced enough to give you step by step info, but all I can say is I know the function is there so maybe look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to do it in the latest version of After Effects, here's the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u25t1DAViYg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, even tho it's not PP, but that's still fine and exactly what i need! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines