• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove text overlay from a movie already completed?

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have licensed the movie and need to remove the title page and edit some text throughout it. How do I do so whilst keeping the background intact? It was sent to me as a .mov file and I am using adobe premiere pro.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

So you have a single MOV file that has text, like lower thirds or subtitles, basically "burned into" the file, right? 

Then you can't edit it...it's part of the movie. It's "flattened" to use a photoshop term...it's part of the movie. There's no way to change the text, or remove it. This is one of the reasons projects I work on deliver a texted and textless version...so if you need to change text, or add it somewhere else, or make it in a foreign language, you can.  Import the file, add your own

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a single MOV file that has text, like lower thirds or subtitles, basically "burned into" the file, right? 

Then you can't edit it...it's part of the movie. It's "flattened" to use a photoshop term...it's part of the movie. There's no way to change the text, or remove it. This is one of the reasons projects I work on deliver a texted and textless version...so if you need to change text, or add it somewhere else, or make it in a foreign language, you can.  Import the file, add your own text layer.

Nothing you can do short of blowing up and reformatting the image to get rid of the text. but then you are affecting video quality,and losing a good portion of your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

One other possible option, though you have to weight it, against what you already have, would be to create a Title, that covers what exists, burned in. This could be the client's logo, or something else. When a few clients have licensed existing footage, with another logo, or bug, I have just created one for them, to overlay that. Depending on what you have, and what fits your sense of aesthetics, that might be doalbe, or not.

As for that Title, if it is just part of the Video Stream, it can be Deleted easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were saying that: if it is just part of the Video Stream, it can be Deleted easily. How are the steps to delete that text please, can you tell more or share a link to it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just looking at this forum... I too would like to know how to delete text that's an overlay, understanding that if it's embedded it's beyond my beginner's ability. And I'd like to be able elminate logos and watermarks.... prefer to do this all on Windows if anyone can guide me. All the software downloads require prepayment and that doesn't work for me. I need to know I'm facile using the software and that it works for me before agreeing to pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i found the best and easiest way to remove the text on premier well first get a 4 coppy of your video  layer on premier then go a head to firtst layer meant top layer use mask and creat a rectangular mask on it certainly around the text so on that layer then use color key and select the color of your text  so by now you will see only the selected part and you transparented the text now you need to do two more stepe then on the second layer wich is down the top layer make another mask but this time mas all the video but not the text area it must be certainly text area that is not selected then on the layer 3 change the posittion of layer 3 for a little bit so on text partyou see frames wich are so close to text frame no one can undrestan that there was a text on there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution looks like it should work, but I'm having trouble re-creating what you have described. Can you kindly explain in more detail? Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want to remove all the word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nearly impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines