• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I undo an accidental vertex added to an ellipse causing it to become a polygon.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often create an elipse mask to track and blur faces in a video. I often have to manually adjust the shape of the elipse from frame to frame and sometimes I accidentally click on the line of the elipse instead of one of the four vertex points and inadvertantly add a new vertex point with bezier handles turning the elipse into a polygonal shape. I UNDO the action which fixes the ellipse on that frame but I then discover that all the preceding frames have converted the elipses to polygons with the extra verytex making it impossible to adjust the shape as a constrained elipse. 

SO, my questions - 1. How can I UNDO the mistake of accidentally converting the shape to a polygon so that it reverts all the ellipses on preceding frames as well? 2. How can I remove an added vertex point so that the shae becomes a constrained ellipse again? 3. How do I stop the cursor from automatically adding a new vertex when I accidentally click in the wrong spot on the ellipse?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl/Cmd-click on a vertex should eliminate that one vertex without affecting anything else.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Neil. If I hold down control it opens a menu window. If I hold down command it allows me to delete the vertex but it changes the shape of the elipse and all the other vertexes have bezier handles. The issue I have is that once a vertex is added the shape becomes a polygon and I can't change the dimensions easily the way I can with a constrained ellipse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your problem better, I think. Stepping back via Ctrl/Cmd-Z can undo changes so you're back to the original ellipse shape, and on my rig does so completely. I can have the original ellipse just by going back.

And adding any control points does change the nature of the shape controls. You can still do a Shift-click just outside any vertex to resize the whole shape, but you can't simply grab one and have the "smooth" changes across the ellipse as you drag.

Once you've got a polygon, basically ... you need to click-drag a bounding box over multiple vertexes to move them at the same time and direction. But it ain't "proportional", they'll all move the same amount.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Neil. Yes, you understand my problem. I've tried Cmd-Z to undo the change when I accidentally click in the wrong place on the elipse and add a vertex. But the issue is that it changes the ellipse to a polygon on all the preceding frames and when I click command Z it only changes the polygon back to an ellipse on the frame I'm currently on. So I can continue moving forward with the ellipse, but if I need to go back and adjust one of the ellipses on a previous frame I have to deal with it being a permanent polygon. I really wish there was a way to stop the cursor from automatically turning the elipse to a polygon (and the ellipses on all preceeding frames) whenever I click outside of one of the 4 existing vertexes. The program should be designed so that adding a vertex requires use of a different tool or keystroke. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, I can see that. Very annoying.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines