• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you get Rounded Corners for (Import) Captions Background [Screenshot Examples]

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using: Adobe Premiere 2020

I found a video that uses rounded background in their captions and I'd like to replicate this but can't figure out how.
Rounded edges.jpg

My imported captions have no option for this. It is simply just color background with sharp edges. 
My example.jpg

Here are my Captions 'Import Settings'.
Import Settings.jpg

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubt this matters but here is the Captions window as additional information.
zzz.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try these settingsTry these settingsStarskii,

Sorry it is so non-intuitive. Legacy Titler can still create these as can the Roughen Edges effect applied over a standard rectangle. I think the latter with these settings could work well for your Twitter fakery. Good luck! 

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it and it worked perfectly! However, when I apply the background opacity to 70% it shows the roughened edges full black. The effect works perfect *if* I didn't wish to have a faded caption background but I do so it's not coming out as hoped for. 
 1.jpg2.jpg

Would the 'Title Legacy' achieve the look I am going for (rounded edges with reduced opacity)? I don't really know how to do this in Title Legacy to attempt it (keep in mind these are imported captions)
Thanks for the help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't test this at the moment. I'm focused on the fact that you are using the caption tools, and not creating captions/subtitles using the essential graphics or legacy titler.

Are you setting the caption tool background to 0% opacity and creating your own background?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan. To answer your question. No I am not creating my own background as I am using imported captions so I do not have to write out my own captions.
I export them a program that does this for me, so would I still be able to apply essential graphics or legacy titler to my imported graphics or would this only work if I create my own captions in premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So the method for captions (from the caption tool) is to apply the Roughen Edges effect to the caption stream on the timeline. Kevin's settings work pretty well, except that the rectangle "hugs" each line, so it looks a little odd to me. What you show in your image in post one is a full rectangle around both lines of the caption.

And yes, you are correct; as soon as you reduce opacity of the caption background (in the Caption Panel; below about 70%), the Roughen Edges gets ugly.

Another method is to set the Caption Panel background opacity to zero (i.e. no background block), and just create a rounded rectangle for the whole caption area. Not ideal, but that is close to what you show in the first post.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines