• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How is everyone safely downloading video from youtube, to edit in Premiere?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a safe tool to use to download or copy some Youtube video, which I can then edit and incorporate into my own video?   I can't find the answer here in the forums.  Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

It is technically possible. But you should realise that Youtube deliberately do not allow this, and that Youtube video owners have copyright on each work. If you want to reuse their work, ask them for permission, and ask them for a download link. If you already have permission, realise that many people will assume wrongly that you can use their Youtube videos "just like that". Ask them for a download too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is technically possible. But you should realise that Youtube deliberately do not allow this, and that Youtube video owners have copyright on each work. If you want to reuse their work, ask them for permission, and ask them for a download link. If you already have permission, realise that many people will assume wrongly that you can use their Youtube videos "just like that". Ask them for a download too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

No intention to do harm to anyone.  

I thought there was a 15 second rule, that if you used less than 15 seconds you're ok.  Maybe that's music, or just wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such rule for 15 seconds of use.  If you want to legal term you are looking for, search for "fair use".

At the end of the day, be carefull,  you can end up with a great deal of legal expeses from the assuming that 15 seconds falls under fair use.

Here is a VERY brief overview,  it will give you an idea what your in for:

Fair Use - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YouTube has to follow the Fair Use rules and regulations. People have used parts of my videos and I have used parts of their videos with no permission required. I will admit it is a slippery slope and you could violate the copyright laws if you are not careful 

Having said that you just need the correct plugin to download the YouTube video files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....the 15 second rule is for food only 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, use to be...  with Covid not sure that's safe either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done it many times using Premiere Pro. It works great. You can use other people's content for commentary and critisism without consent. It is considered fair use. How much can you use? That is the million dollar questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have permission to use the content that is on youtube. How would I use  Premier Pro to download the videos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GBMon,

Thanks for the question. Premiere Pro does not download any video content from online sources, like YouTube. Sorry about that.

YouTube really does not want you to download their videos as it violates their terms of service. See: https://www.youtube.com/static?gl=US&template=terms

It will violate their terms of service if you download anything. Moreover, it is illegal to use downloaded footage if any person owns the rights to the footage and you have no permission.

So, if you download these videos you have permission to use and they are from YouTube, it would be legal in the eyes of the law, but you would still be subject to violation of YouTube's terms of service: which can lead to termination of your account, etc.

This article seems to have pretty good advice, but this is not my advice.

My advice is to steer clear of any kind of downloading of others' content. Red flag alert from this ol' skooler. Proceed with caution.

Some people I know use "third party" YouTube downloading software. I would beware of anything free that also requires your personal information. Seems fishy as these are the hallmarks of most of these "YouTube downloader freeware" offerings.

In other words, I cannot recommend a way to violate YouTube's terms of service. Sorry, again.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice @Kevin-Monahan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, these days at least on some videos YouTube provides a handy download link, but you need to subscribe to YouTube's premium service to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier doesn't download videos.

If you have approval to use the content, ask the content author for the source video.  YouTube compresses it highly, and the quality is not as good as it could be.   I have been asked for content and on approval I provided the original video in a high quality.

BTW; if you have approval, make sure you document it, also make sure they have the rights to the content so they can grant you rights.  Copyright Law can be tricky, it would be wise to do at least some basic research for your region you are in for what copyright means legally to you and how to properly work with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Fair Use' as it pertains to law can also vary from country to country and may or may not supercede the YouTube definition. Just worked on a story on 'fair use' yesterday where an Australian TV network downloaded Youtube footage and used it in a current affairs program without permission, payment or attribution.

In Australia 'fair use' applies when you are using the footage for 'news' programs but at all times must be attributed. In this case while the program *could* loosely argue that it's a 'news' program - the way the footage was used could be interpreted to not be of 'news' value. So a very grey area.

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/copyright/13250346 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,
Good question.

Basic editor's rule of thumb? Don't rip off others' material. It's unethical. People do things because they can get away with it, and it's easier than ever because of ripper tools that attack YouTube creators' work. To me, that doesn't mean it's right. Put yourself in the content creator's shoes. For example the guy that got ripped of by those Australian TV networks Steve wrote about. You wouldn't want people stealing your stuff. It happened to me. I eventually wrote a book, because my own hard fought tips and techniques were getting ripped off by lesser talents (some my own "colleagues" Nice guys!). A little tougher to get ripped off when your lessons are in print, not video or web text.

I suggest that creators use legal footage or just shoot your own. That's why stock video and music exists. You license it. For a fee. There are low cost options for these things and even royalty free archival footage if you seek it out. There really is no excuse not to use it. With constraints also comes creativity, so you may actually win out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are apps and extensions for browsers specifically made for downloading from YouTube.  Airy is one made for OSX.  There are others.
Agree about respecting copyrights.  Fair Use may apply, and you can find out about that on copyright.gov for the USA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

check out this plugin on the adobe exchange store! 

https://exchange.adobe.com/apps/cc/201078/simple-youtube-downloader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines