• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add a hue adjustment layer in PP?

Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty new to PP. In PS, I often adjust the look of a photo by adding a solid color and blending it with Hue, then adjust the opacity to get the look I want. I want to see if I can replicate that with some footage in PP. The closest I've come is adding an Adjustment Layer and trying to add an effect, but none of the effects match what I want to do. 

This should be possible. What am I missing? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

In addition to what Andy said, you can explore the Color workspace and use the Lumetri effect which is a suite of coloring tools for video. It sounds like you're want to tint your video and this can be done several ways with the Lumetri Color panel.

There's also the "Creative" section of the panel, which will allow you to add LUTs and control the opacity, but those remap the tones of your footage as opposed to being a solid color, so they can also add a more visual interest. You can also use the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the opacity control you can do blending, mutliply, color dodge, color burn etc. It works like Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's exactly what I do in PS: I use Hue under blend mode to ever so slightly bring all the colors into balance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Andy said, you can explore the Color workspace and use the Lumetri effect which is a suite of coloring tools for video. It sounds like you're want to tint your video and this can be done several ways with the Lumetri Color panel.

There's also the "Creative" section of the panel, which will allow you to add LUTs and control the opacity, but those remap the tones of your footage as opposed to being a solid color, so they can also add a more visual interest. You can also use the little color wheels to push the shadows or highlights toward a specific color.

If you just wanted to tint some footage you can use the "Color Wheels & Match" section to have more granular control over the color of tone of your footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BknsPGyFeE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Yes, in PS I use Hue under the blend modes with a solid color layer to bring all the colors into harmony for an individual or a set. It sounds like you do this with LUT's in PP. I was playing with them (and the Look under Creative) the other day was overwhelemd with choices. I was thinking the Hue trick I use with PS would be easier, but maybe not. I guess it's a learning curve. I can look at a photo and undetand/visualize what the blending modes will do. Not so with the LUT's and Look -- yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well if the technique you use in Photoshop is to color balance, rather than add a creative tint, there's an even easier way. The top of the Basic Correction section of the panel has color balancing controls. Adjust your Temperature and Tint sliders to add or remove color casts from a shot. You can also open up the scopes (a learning curve in their own right) and check to make sure skin tones fall in the proper spot. Video color correction tools are incredibly powerful, and the Lumetri panel takes a similar approach that Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw do, in terms of the layout and the "top-down" approach. The idea when correcting your shot is to start at the top of the Basic Correction panel and work your way down the controls. Technically you should set your exposure before adjusting the color balance, but the rest of the controls (which aren't always necessary) follow a logical order to be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines