Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to auto track position and swap over it still image

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

id like to ask how can i replace face or part of screen with an another still image? I mean i know how to do it manualy with keyframes for tracking, but id like to know if there is a way to auto track position and add image to it or something like that

thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Premiere is doing a Mask Track, not a Motion Track.  Yes, you can copy the resulting keyframes, but they're Mask Path keyframes.  As such, they cannot be pasted to the Position of another clip.

In order to apply the results of a track to another layer or layers like you're looking to do, it has to be a Motion Track.

The video that you provided a link to is not titled correctly.  Instead of being called "Auto & Manual Motion Tracking an Object with Premiere Pro", it should be called "Auto & M

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you want to Track Motion in After Effects.

You can right-click your clip in the Sequence and choose Replace with After Effect Composition to get started.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kinda dont understand, auto track is a feature in premiere aswell, why would i need After Effect?

https://youtu.be/aRI1cjM1UHE?t=413 (6:55) for example here, he does auto tracking - i would assume, that if i track like that face i should be able to copy these keyframes to a motion of for example some still picture, but i am not succesfull in finding it how.

Is after effects really only way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is doing a Mask Track, not a Motion Track.  Yes, you can copy the resulting keyframes, but they're Mask Path keyframes.  As such, they cannot be pasted to the Position of another clip.

In order to apply the results of a track to another layer or layers like you're looking to do, it has to be a Motion Track.

The video that you provided a link to is not titled correctly.  Instead of being called "Auto & Manual Motion Tracking an Object with Premiere Pro", it should be called "Auto & Manual Mask Tracking an Object with Premiere Pro".

What is perhaps even more confusing about the video that you link to is that it shows a Mask Track being done on footage that already has a Motion Track rendered into it (the WANTED graphic callout).  While probably not intentional, it just makes the mis-naming of the title more problematic.

In After Effects, you can do a Motion Track and then apply the results to another layer (usually the Transform Position parameter, but it can be to any position coordinates like the Flare Center of the Lens Flare effect (tip: for lens flares, check out Video Copilot Optical Flow or Red Giant Universe Knoll Light Factory) or to the Brush Position of the Write-On effect. 

Another advantage of After Effects is that the points on a Mask can be turned into Null Objects using the included Create Nulls From Paths script, turning the coordinates of each mask path vertex into a Null Object with the correspoding Positions set as Expressions which can be linked to other layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

neyon96641101 and Warren Heaton: you can also use my Mask To Transform extension for Premiere Pro  which let's you convert mask path keyframes into keyframes of position, rotation and scale on a transform effect. This is exactly what you want to do and you can do it right in Premiere without any manual tedious adjustments!

You will find it on Adobe Exchange.

[edited by mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines