Highlighted

How to batch convert a large number of mov files to mp4

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge number of mov files that I need converted to mp4, as the client can't use the mov files (for whatever reason!). The slow way I have worked out to convert is to import all the mov into Premiere and then for each file follow the following sequence:
1) Import 1st mov file individually onto the timeline

2) [cmd]+m (or file > export > media)

3) Queue

4) Delete the 1st file's timeline from the left hand panel

5) Import 2nd mov file individually onto the timeline

6) Rinse and Repeat (1-5) until all files are queued in Media Encoder7) Export all files in Media Encoder to specific output folder.

There has to be a quicker way to do this!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

I don't know why you're going into PrPro for this ... just use MediaEncoder.

You can navigate to a folder, select, and set them to export using a specific export preset/settings ... you can even set a watch-folder where anything you drop in there, Me automagically uses the export settings and makes however many copies/transcodes/whatever and puts the results in however many output folders you specify.

Drag/drop files in the folder in Explorer/Finder ... go on with your day. When their all done, do what you need with them.

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to batch convert a large number of mov files to mp4

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a huge number of mov files that I need converted to mp4, as the client can't use the mov files (for whatever reason!). The slow way I have worked out to convert is to import all the mov into Premiere and then for each file follow the following sequence:
1) Import 1st mov file individually onto the timeline

2) [cmd]+m (or file > export > media)

3) Queue

4) Delete the 1st file's timeline from the left hand panel

5) Import 2nd mov file individually onto the timeline

6) Rinse and Repeat (1-5) until all files are queued in Media Encoder7) Export all files in Media Encoder to specific output folder.

There has to be a quicker way to do this!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by R Neil Haugen | Adobe Community Professional

You can navigate to a folder, select, and set them to export using a specific export preset/settings ... you can even set a watch-folder where anything you drop in there, Me automagically uses the export settings and makes however many copies/transcodes/whatever and puts the results in however many output folders you specify.

Drag/drop files in the folder in Explorer/Finder ... go on with your day. When their all done, do what you need with them.

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2018 2
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil's recommendation is spot on.

If for some reason you want to do it all in Premiere, you can select all the .mov files in the Project panel, right-click and select Export Media. This will bring up the Export Settings dialog for batch export. Set to your desired settings, then click Queue button. This will queue all files to Media Encoder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless your client wants individual color correction on the clips. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it the mp4 video codec or the file extension that causes problems? Can you simply switch the files extension? The video link might be worth watching.

https://youtu.be/nUnzq94iuJg  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 0
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dpowers,

That wasn't part of the original post ... so your point is quite a separate thing.

And yes, that's a pain point in Premiere. Premiere stores all work done to clips on the sequence the work was done in. So you can't export from a bin with the work you've done on a sequence included in the export.

Nor do they have an export option that allows each clip to be exported separately. There is another option though ... and I've used it quite a bit.

• Select the clips on a sequence that you need to export as clips.
  • Right-click, render and replace.
  • Select the fomat/codec options as needed.
  • Use either "next to original media" or "Browse" option to place your new media where you want them to land.
  • Set "include handles" is a user-choice, helpful at times if transitions will be needed.
  • ALWAYS check "Include Video Effects".

Unfortunately, this doesn't queue over to MediaEncoder, so it will lock up Premiere on the export until finished. So I do this when I'm going to be away from the computer or overnight.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be too late for you but there is another way now! Check out this extension:

www.ezclip.store 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0