• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change the title default duration?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those basic questions I can't believe no one else has asked already but after searching on Google and in this forum without finding an answer I guess I must be the first.

Whenever I create a title in Premiere Pro it saves it as a default duration of 5 seconds. Shouldn't I be able to change this default time to anything I want? In Preferences I tried changing the Still Image Default Duration but that didn't work for titles.

Of course I realize I can adjust title durations once they are on the timeline, but I have a bunch to create and I want them all to be longer than 5 seconds so it would be nice if I could adjust the default time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Workflow all depends on which version of Premiere you are using.

This thread is old probably CS5 or CS6.

If you are on CC you can change duration of the stills in the Project Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title duration is set by the still image duration in prefrences!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change in Stills Duration (same for Still Images and for Titles), will ONLY affect those Stills Imported, or Titles created AFTER the change has been made. Is that not working properly for you?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AFTER"

Why? Wouldn't it make more sense to have that tied to when things are Added to the timeline, and not when the item was created?

I thought as a workaround I could import the project to itself. It did allow me to do that, but that didn't change anything.

So you have to open your title, create new from title, give it a new name, Then import that title.

That workaround is terrible.

Anyone know of a reason for this method? If there isn't one, then it should Definitely be changed to the time it's added.

I would actually be very much behind a change to this entirely. I change the default Quite frequently. For these 25 images I might have 1.5 seconds. For the next 30 images I might need that at 3 seconds. And so on.

I'd rather have this setting available in a window so I don't have to keep opening preferences.

But I definitely feel that this setting should effect at the time of timeline import, not creation. Unless it effects something else negatively, software should always allow for someone changing something on you mid project. Maybe we decided on 2 minutes on project start, but then they change it to 2.5 minutes after I've got all the assets in. Or I just want to make one at 3 minutes with the same content because they are trying to fit too much into 2 minutes and I want to show them an alternative.

So I'm just importing, hitting playhead position, typing "+3." for moving the position 3 seconds, then stretch to there.....for every title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workflow all depends on which version of Premiere you are using.

This thread is old probably CS5 or CS6.

If you are on CC you can change duration of the stills in the Project Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? What's the secret? I'm not finding it and I'm not seeing anything about it in the help file other than to go to preferences.

I guess I could change the video out point, but you can only do that one at a time. Is that what you're referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right Click on Title> Duration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AFTER"

Why? Wouldn't it make more sense to have that tied to when things are Added to the timeline, and not when the item was created?

God, no.  Can you imagine the outcry from editors if PP changed things already in the timeline because of a preference change?

The whole idea behind NLEs at a professional level is that the editor controls the edit, not the software.  No assumptions are made about what the editor wants, as wrong assumptions would be incredibly annoying and actually create more work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood: Currently, I have a bunch of titles created in the project panel. They are not in my timeline. When the titles were typed up, stills were set to 2 seconds. Those titles are now, and will always be 2 seconds.

What I was saying is that I should be able to change the preference to say 5 seconds, then drag the title from the project panel to the timeline, and it be 5 seconds. But it's based on what the setting was when it was created, not when you add it.

So if you missed changing the preference when you created it, you have to change the times all one at a time.

IMO, it would be better if you could change that preference, and any item moving From the project panel To the timeline would assume that preference. Nothing already in the timeline would change.

Also, right click duration? That was it. I wasn't seeing that because I was looking for the wrong word. And it's actually Speed/Duration. I must have been blinded by "speed" so didn't see duration. Yes, that is the way to change multiple items at once. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood: Currently, I have a bunch of titles created in the project panel. They are not in my timeline.

It's still the same scenario, the software would be automatically changing things which the editor had specifically created, but not necessarily selected for the change.  (What if the editor wants titles with varying durations?)

If any assumption is made at all, it's that the editor knows what he or she is doing.  I think features based on the idea that editors don't know what they're doing and need some sort of 'automatic correction' would be more of a hinderance than a help to the intended market of this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(question from a Premiere Pro CC 14.3 user) You still didn't get it, Jim. We wanna know if there's any chance we can change the DEFAULT "ADD CAPTION" DURATION TIME. We ask this because MOST sentences/lines in the audio clips (that we edit [at least for me]) is usually being spoken for around 4-6 seconds but the "ADD CAPTION" button only gives us 2 seconds of caption time. So imagine making a subtitle for a film with 500 SENTENCES/LINE (500!!!) and each sentence is 5 seconds long (5 seconds long!!), that means you need to add 3 more seconds to your 2 seconds caption in order to match the duration of every single line in that movie you're editing. Wouldn't that be a pain? So, how cool and convenient would it be to change the default duration time of a caption added using the "ADD CAPTION" button? having that feature will definitely save us time cause we would not need to stretch every caption we add to the caption clip in the timeline. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that (once applied to the timeline) if you right click on the title>CLIP>TIME STRETCH

That is the only thing I've found that will allow me to change the duration of my titles.

Negative side is that it will either speed it up or slow it down and change the look of the animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing you are referring to Pr ELEMENTS.

This is the Premiere Pro forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Japheth,

This is an old thread. I think you are talking about the Caption Tool (not adding titles/text for "captions"). No, there is no option for setting the default duration of an added caption. You can make a feature request here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

One option is using a separate, dedicated captioning app to create the caption stream. Are you burning in? Exporting sidecar? Embedding?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines