• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable overwriting on the timeline?!!!

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, whenever I drag another clip on top of another clip in the timeline, it deletes it or a portion of it. I want to DISABLE this option. How do I do this please? I don't want a work around, I want an option stating, don't do this stupid thing and then click it.

Thanks

Also, great. Thanks. just scrolled through my timeline and got this

3ZPf4u9.jpg

Thanks Adobe. This has really helped my workflow and now before the deadline, I'm having to go back and fix this. This has saved me time, thanks. I'm really glad I got CC. Top stuff /s

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Holding down the Ctrl key (Cmd key on a Mac) will allow you to do an insert operation instead of an overwrite operation when you drag. Also make sure your Source Patching and Track Targeting are set correctly.

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down the Ctrl key (Cmd key on a Mac) will allow you to do an insert operation instead of an overwrite operation when you drag. Also make sure your Source Patching and Track Targeting are set correctly.

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, this seems more of a workaround than anything and not exactly what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, this seems more of a workaround than anything and not exactly what I want.

Hi Ben E.,

That's the way Insert and Overwrite work if you drag clips in an existing Timeline. If you do not like those methods, please let us know here how you would like it to work.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I've sent a feature report, thanks.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it help? xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having a similar issue but when it comes to clips cutting eachother off when playing with the speed/duration setting.  I post a thingy with more details on my account if anyone thinks they can help 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why drag a clip on top of another if you dont want that to happen? What do you expect would happen or what would you want to happen???

Thats what the layers are there for. Use a separate layer above the other.

You also have Insert and Overlay Options and you have track targeting / patching/ locking options for control of edit workflow.

And then you also have Replace Options plus Lift and Extract functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, shooternz, Cubase and Nuendo have a feature where you can put several takes right on top of each other in the same track without destroying your first edit. It simply moves them to the back.

Then you simply expand the same track to see the different takes. This way you can have several versions of a cut on one track and select the one(s) you want afterwards. Then twirl it close instead of having clips spread all over different tracks.

I've learned a lot working with both DAWs and NLEs. They really need to look over each other's shoulders more. (Like how about track folders, Adobe?)

I'll think I'll put in some feature requests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally different applications and would not work in Video editing practically or efficiency wise. 

Thats what tracks are for and they have Eyes on them to Select or Deselect.

It would be a RPTA to have to do and manage that at clip level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your opinion and I don't agree at all. But not going to get into it with you here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey shooternz, I don't agree with you and completely agree with resh. It'd a be a nice feature to have as if you have a lot of tracks. For me personally it can get a bit hectic and say I'm dragging a video track and the audio track attached to it accidentally skipped to another and it overwrited another audio track and I don't notice. It's f'd then.

It seems premiere pro doesn't seem to have this feature which has made me feel the need to find something else. I know Sony Vegas for certain has the feature I talked about. I believe others do it but I can't be certain. So yeah, please don't say it won't work in video editing practically when I've used it and I know it works practically and efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yeah, please don't say it won't work in video editing practically when I've used it and I know it works practically and efficiently.

Can you tell me which video editing NLE has this feature?

I am interested to see how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shooternz,

Sony Vegas: Transitions Tutorial - YouTube

This is just an example but he drags it on top and it doesn't delete the clip. Premiere Pro doesn't have to do automatic transition but it would be nice to just have it so just in case I accidentally drag another clip on top of another and don't realise until a little later on in the edit, that I am safe. That's all i want

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are talking about now, and the good news is that Pr doesn't delete the video. The video from the end of the first clip, and/or the video from the beginning of the second clip that seems to be overwritten or deleted is still there. To see it, all you have to do is drop a transition on the cut between the 2 clips.  You'll get the "overlapped" video (called handles) back during the transition.

If you don't want to add a transition, but you want frames back from either of the clips, you can use the Rolling Edit tool (reveals and hides frames from both clips simultaneously) or the Ripple Edit tool (reveals frames from just one of the clips) to shift the cut in the direction you want to reveal the frames that are overlapped.

If you want frames back from both clips, you can use the Track Select tools to drag the clips before and after the cut to create a gap, then trim the in and out points of the clips to get the frames back.

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem a lot easier if I could cut and paste a clip without overwriting.  This should be the default setting.  Rather than overwrite a section, I can just delete it.  The CTRL-C drag and drop doesn't work for me half the time.  Not sure what I am doing wrong, but this is uncessarily complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As seen in the Vegas editor, the practice of moving the end of one video clip on top of another to create a instant transition is refreshingly efficient. I've always been surprised others didn't follow suit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Camtasia Studio, the default behavior is the clip stops when you drag it and it meets another one on the same track. If you want to override the other clip, you simply move the clip to a higher track. Or you explicitly squeeze the other clip first. Logical and intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very new to Premiere but this seems extremely intuitive. This should be the default, with the option to turn this feature off. OR simply if you drag it on top of another clip it keeps them both and highlights in red the overlap on the timeline OR prompts you a yes or no (Prompts can become a nuisance though). I'm sure with most programs you just get used to their shortcomings, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had forgotten about you shooter, you know everything and nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to chime in here, as I just experienced this issue and now have to re-applying my audio back onto the tracks...

When one gets soooooo deep into a project and it runs longer than say 10+ minutes, you lose your place in the timeline of what and which audio is where and on what n which track in the timeline. Adobe - if you're listening, put in a governor on tracks where if one inadvertently places say an audio clip over another audio clip (which you can't see since it's further along in the timeline...), throw up a user-friendly message that says 'Allow 'audio x' to overwrite 'audio y' on this track?'

The Command-drag does nothing for me. The logic would be better served to hold down a short cut key if you wanted to overwrite the clip on the track.

My two bucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SundayGladiator, I'm very surprised premiere overwrites the audio of a clip when you move a video to a track/layer above another one (instead of below it on another track). I've messed up plenty of multi-camera projects due the audio being all jumbled up on one track while the video has 4 or 5 tracks properly layered as I go about reorganizing clips. adobemadness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes you want to easily snap a clip to another, or a great feature that Vegas has is an automatic cross-over transition when you drag a clip over another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have all of my clips on the same track it's because I want them to all to play completely back to back. If I wanted them to play on top of each other or insert one in the middle of another track, that's what layers are for. If I needed to overwrite one or more tracks, that's what delete is for.

It doesn't make sense to have to lock all of my clips and move them around, just to squeeze in an extra track somewhere (like an intro, intermission, or additional scene). Ctrl+click doesn't solve that problem because it still overwrites clips if you don't place it at the exact start point of a clip.

I think OP makes a good point that at least having the option to disable the overwrite feature would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines