Highlighted

How to edit a copied/duplicated title sequence in CC 2018 without changing the original??

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I have been through many "solutions" but they all seem to apply to some previous version of CC and none of them work for me. For instance alt/dragging a sequence or a clip to a new spot on the timeline simply recreates that sequence and when I edit the new one the original is also changed. Duplicating a sequence in the project panel produces the same result. Why is it so impossible to do this, and why have i just wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out. Wish there was a button for "duplicate and editable title" or something. None of the 5 or 6 "fixes" for this have worked for me.

Could someone please please show me the definitive way to do this in CC 2018, and not in some earlier version?

To make clear... I have a title sequence that I want to copy multiple times and be able to edit each copy independently of each other , and without the original changing.  Is this possible? Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to edit a copied/duplicated title sequence in CC 2018 without changing the original??

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. I have been through many "solutions" but they all seem to apply to some previous version of CC and none of them work for me. For instance alt/dragging a sequence or a clip to a new spot on the timeline simply recreates that sequence and when I edit the new one the original is also changed. Duplicating a sequence in the project panel produces the same result. Why is it so impossible to do this, and why have i just wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out. Wish there was a button for "duplicate and editable title" or something. None of the 5 or 6 "fixes" for this have worked for me.

Could someone please please show me the definitive way to do this in CC 2018, and not in some earlier version?

To make clear... I have a title sequence that I want to copy multiple times and be able to edit each copy independently of each other , and without the original changing.  Is this possible? Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 08, 2018 0
Advisor ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One method: In the Projects panel, right click on the item you wish to duplicate, and click on duplicate. It will show up as a copy, rename it and then work on it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely does not work for me. One of the many methods I've tried. Perhaps a glitch in the newest version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt drag one title clip (not the sequence) to a new location in the same sequence.

Open this new one in the titler and change the text.

test > test copy 01.

Repeat same action, alt drag from first title

test > test copy 02, etc.

Duplicating a sequence and editing the title will change the original also.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 0
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alt drag.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do as you say I get the same result. When I alter this "copy" of the title clip (not the sequence) the same is applied to the original. I've been at this for hours and starting to go a little crazy.

To be clear...  When you say "Alt drag one title clip (not the sequence) to a new location in the same sequence.", do you mean if I had 3 titles in the sequence and I alt/dragged one of them to another point on the timeline I could somehow alter this clip without it affecting the first one. Does not work for me at all.  I guess I am not understanding.  Feeling so foolish that I can't figure this out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been through every tutorial I can find and every forum comment I can find. I can not for the life of me figure this one out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 1
Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with fresh titles not the ones already in your project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, there is absolutely no solution anywhere to be found. I'm having the same issue.

I downloaded a title pack from a website. I drag the title I want from that project to my working project, and begin editing the title(text, spacing, size). So now I've got the first title lined up and looking how I want it, and I'd like to use the exact same specs I already have on a new title, with different text.

Alt+Drag doesn't work, as it creates an exact copy with the same source paths. So if I change the text on the "copied" title, it changes it on the first. In fact, any changes to the second alter the first.

Another option I've seen is to duplicate the title in the project panel. This also produces the same problem.

I have spent so much time trying to figure this out. Motion Array has a video which says import the title project multiple times, but this is crazy as then I'll have to edit everything I already had done, for every title I use. I rarely use a title from a pack as it's imported.

Is there any way in Premiere Pro to duplicate a title(which is a sequence nested several times), and also create a duplicate of all the underlying source material. I have figured out that I can duplicate the title, and duplicate the source, and relink them. This is also excessive against my time as some of these titles has numerous source files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2019 0
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select title on timeline.

Alt+drag to new position.

Change text of this new title.

Done.

Alt drag for nest with titles inside wont work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the response but unfortunately I'm working with nested titles. To elaborate, I have had success when working with a nest that contains the title text in the first and only nested path. I've been able to duplicate the source in the project and replace it within the nested sequence.

The title I'm working with now has a nest which contains a video and another nest. Inside the first there's a composite of the text sequence and modification layers with the same text. The text is further contained. In order to path the a new project file I would have to replace and edit the complex parts of the title which at my level is not likely to happen.

I'm hoping future iterations of PP have the ability to duplicate nested titles quickly.

Thanks,

Josh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found to be the easiest solution:

1. Make changes in original project sequence.

2. Drag and drop that sequence into the project you are working on.

3. Make any other adjustments necessary in your project.

Hope this helps. It definitely stopped my palpitations 😄 lol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 0