Exit

How To Enable GPU Cuda in Adobe CS6 for Windows

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quote from Vimeo

"

A lot of folks were complaining about how most GPU accelerated graphics cards are not supported in Adobe's new Premiere Pro and After Effects CS6 applications.

Thankfully there is a simple and quick fix that allows you to enable your GPU videocard to be supported that makes the editing experience so much better.

I take six mintes to show you how to complete this on a Mac."

Here is the link  https://vimeo.com/43420088

Can we do the same/similar for Windows based computers?

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

After a little experimenting I have DONE IT !!!

In the folder "Program Files " "Adobe" "Premiere CS6" open the text file called cuda_supported_cards.txt.

Add your card to the list and hopefully it works.

Open a new session of Premiere, Goto "Project Settings" "General" and under Video Rendering and Playback "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration" should show as active.

Now I am going to tackle After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For "some" others, with at least 1Gig of video ram, use the nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file... I do not have your card, so I do not know if the hack will work for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a little experimenting I have DONE IT !!!

In the folder "Program Files " "Adobe" "Premiere CS6" open the text file called cuda_supported_cards.txt.

Add your card to the list and hopefully it works.

Open a new session of Premiere, Goto "Project Settings" "General" and under Video Rendering and Playback "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration" should show as active.

Now I am going to tackle After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me with this.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT. I've updated the video card driver to the last version, did the same with the CUDA driver. Opened the Program Files->Adobe->Premiere CS6->cuda_supported_cards.txt. and also in opencl_supported_cards i introduced the name of my card GeForce 9600M as indicated in CMD command.

No results, When opening the project, I can not choose the video rendering and Playback preferences. I restarted the AP CS6 to it's settings, and the result remains the same.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that card/chip have 1Gig of dedicated video memory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it says it has 512 mb memory with up to 2 GB dedicated memory. So, the answer may be "no" I think. But the topic starter managed to somehow start the CUDA on his notebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then hardware MPE is out of the question, due to lack of dedicated VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to reinstall CS6 and now it says "Mercury Playback Engine Only"  - -My card is Quadro 4000, which IS cuda enabled.

How do I "convince" CS6 that the Cuda card is really there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Cuda_Supported_Cards.txt file from the root.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need to reboot or just restart Premiere Pro CS6 because when I restarted it, it still says cuda not available.

Thank you for the lightning fast reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't do it. It still says ",,,not available".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 pro, 64 bit, CS6, updated reinstall, AMD FX8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX, 8 TB RAID0... what else do I need to tell you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really hoping someone could help me solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not much I can do for you.

Re-instate the text file and add the card to the list.

See if that will help.

Is the driver up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

The card (Quadro 4000) has been in the list the whole time and I did put the list back. I guess I'm at a dead end. I didn't need to reinstall CS6 but I didn't know that at the time. My problem turned out to be heat. The cabinet was not designed well for the hardware I installed. As the problem kept getting worse, the case was the only ting I didn't replace. Finding the utility that monitors heat (Speccy) turned out to be the key. Before that I had replaced the power supply, graphics card, CPU, mother board and memory.  I actually built a backup machine with the left over parts.

Through this, I must say, that Nvidia has been most helpful and they didn't really need to be. That speaks strongly for their company. They may be my only recourse now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

The following my help if someone has a similar question as timtro's in post #7.  In my case, my GeForce GTX 660 did not appear in the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file under Premier Pro CS6.  As a result the cuda was not recognized by P.Pro CS6. I found a solution that worked for me on the Internet as follows:

1. Setup as Administrator.
  2. Copy the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file to the desktop as a backup (Note if the problem video card is listed in the text file. If it is then a different problem exists).
  3. If not, try deleting the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file.
  4. If that does not work, copy the original file on the desktop to another location, open the copy and add the video file description exactly as shown for a similar card on the list (In my case, the list showed a GeForce GTX 680 whereas my card is a GeForce GTX 660).
  5. I entered a space above the GeForce GTX 680 and typed GeForce GTX 660.
  6. Save the file and drag and drop under Premier Pro CS6
  7. Open P.Pro CS6 and the cuda recognition will be highlighted in Project Settings/General/Video Rendering and Playback/Renderer:

A similar approach was recommended for After Effects CS6, however, in this case the file to change is "raytracer supported cards.txt" under After Effects/Support Files.  I have not tried this yet.

If a similar card is not shown in the file, a program called GPUZ was recommended that will show the video card name.  I tried entering the full description exactly as shown including NVIDIA e.g. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660.  This did not work, so I removed NVIDIA that solved the problem.  In my case, this was simple logic since the existing GeForce GTX entries did not include NVIDIA.  Trial and error may solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found the solution was to download and install the Nvidia driver again. That's all there was to it. Apparently it makes a difference what order things are installed and Nvidia seems to want to be installed last.

The ultimate solution to the crashing issue was to install the SPECCY monitor which told me I had a heat problem. I mounted an extra (90mm) fan in the side panel over the CUP and GPU venting out. Nvidia told me the max temp or the Quadro is 95 C but now it never goes over 85. The CPU also stays within the safe range.

I'm posting this for the benefit of others who may find it helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this problem real also for Premiere Pro CC ? Because i have same kind of problem with a new video card FirePro V4900, unseen by Premiere. But i cannot fine such a file "cuda_supported_cards"....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey.  The file is in "Program Files" folder, inside "Adobe" folder, "Adobe Premiere..." (will have the version at end of name) folder, and you will probably see a file called cuda_supported_cards, or with a .txt at the end of it.  I found it in CS6.  Though I've heard of CUDA problems in CC and later, mostly with macs, but some with windows.  It is coming into it's maturity again, but most of my gear is CS6 and will stay CS6 for a while longer, mainly due to the fact that I work in 1080p at max, and I don't use a lot of high power effects, plus the fact that the max many of my machines can handle is 1080p for playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Harley,

Though I've heard of CUDA problems in CC and later, mostly with macs, but some with windows. 

The file is not available in Premiere Pro CC and later. You no longer need to do this. A GPU with more than 1 GB VRAM will likely work with Premiere Pro CC, and later, automatically. However, with recent versions you may want to bump that up to 2 GB VRAM.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX kev.  But most labs I work with have CC and are on macs (for when I go above 1080, or have more than 3 sources).  I know it isn't necessary on the windows machines I've used, as the software actually looks for a card, checks for a specified value.  I was just adding the info for those, like me, who have a small shop where they work with small projects, all using the older software versions.  I max it out by using old hardware, but as fast as I can make it (I have a little fun playing computer frankenstein okay?), and it works pretty well for some pro-bono type work.  Is it perfectly professional?  No.  But for Pro-bono (not getting paid) it does what I need, and works every time.  I've put CUDA into the mix only recently.  This works great for editing.  I don't mind using my few $50-100 pc's that I put 100-150 into for upgrades to work on effects and render.  It's sometimes faster than other projects at the same res at labs using macs and CC  (CUDA MISSING).  I also like to old-school it and have fun.  Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the new CC.  Beautiful work... ...really.  I just wish apple would drop the "We know better" \ "Almighty big brother" (and completely incompetent) attitude they've taken.  They use a lot of GNOME elements and other linux programming as it is.   It's almost painful to see what they've become.  If Steve were still around, he'd allow you to replace your apple supplied driver with a better one, if available, and would even hire people to test it, then would supply it as a downloadable update for those who wanted or needed it.  I've seen linux geeks get CUDA 3.2 working with some cards by completely removing the APPLE supplied driver, then putting in the linx version of the driver for their card and rebooting.  Same folder, different files.  When they updated, apple replaced that folder in the update...  It's like their slapping their users in the tenderparts with a spiked club and saying "THere, doesn't it work better now?".  Not advising you try it, but for purely testing purposes... ...you might give it a shot.  IF it works, CUDA might be available for mac users with a few caveauts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this problem real also for Premiere Pro CC ? Because i have same kind of problem with a new video card FirePro V4900, unseen by Premiere. But i cannot fine such a file "cuda_supported_cards"....

There is no such file with Premiere Pro CC. It's unnecessary.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i have got an geforce 960m ...its a new ish card. why will that not work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Premiere do you have?  IF CS6, you need to add your card to the short list in the system files, but AFTER you make sure it is CUDA capable, and can run higher than version 3 of CUDA ( Version 3.4 or above).  Best to have version 4 or higher, since more ops in third party plugs are compatible, and will save processing time.  Make sure your card meets those requirements and then read the posts above.  They show you what file you have to change in order to get your card to work.  If you are on OSX (a mac) don't bother with CUDA.  It doesn't work.  Apple have removed the capability by overriding the library of functions with their own, lesser design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines