Exit

How To Enable GPU Cuda in Adobe CS6 for Windows

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quote from Vimeo

"

A lot of folks were complaining about how most GPU accelerated graphics cards are not supported in Adobe's new Premiere Pro and After Effects CS6 applications.

Thankfully there is a simple and quick fix that allows you to enable your GPU videocard to be supported that makes the editing experience so much better.

I take six mintes to show you how to complete this on a Mac."

Here is the link  https://vimeo.com/43420088

Can we do the same/similar for Windows based computers?

My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

After a little experimenting I have DONE IT !!!

In the folder "Program Files " "Adobe" "Premiere CS6" open the text file called cuda_supported_cards.txt.

Add your card to the list and hopefully it works.

Open a new session of Premiere, Goto "Project Settings" "General" and under Video Rendering and Playback "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration" should show as active.

Now I am going to tackle After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey VideoWeaver,
I just updated the GPU troubleshooting FAQ. Usually, you need to do a clean installation of your video drivers. There can be a few other reasons, as well. Hope you fixed your issue, however, if not, check the fresh FAQ here: FAQ: Why is my GPU not available for Mercury Playback Engine GPU acceleration?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked on my rtx 2070 SUPER. i was rendering with my cpu taking 10 minutes for 30 second 1080p video and now it takes 40 seconds. i love you guys here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojo,

Not sure what you did, but there is no longer a whitelist for GPUs. Usually updating your GPU drivers is all you need to do, but thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I should of mentioned I'm still running an old version of cs6. I'm looking to upgrade to cc soon. Thanks again to this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9 years later and your comment is saving me a ton of headache. TYVM if you ever get this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cuda_supported_cards.txt trick worked for my RTX 2080 on Premiere Pro CS6. One project using Quadro K5000 took over 8 hours, but my 2080 renders in 30 minutes.

Thank you Royhessey for the great information. And thank you mojo2k14 for your testimonial on RTX 2070 SUPER which inspired me to even believe that my card would work. And thank you John Ratard for the recommendation to run the program GPU-Z to get the card name. GPU-Z gave the name "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080" and I put that entire line into the cuda_supported_cards.txt file to get this to work.

Thanks again to all of you. I got my 2080 recently for gaming, but it's great that I can also use it with my old CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cuda_supported_cards.txt trick worked for my RTX 2080 on Premiere Pro CS6.

By @dkim1

Did you use External GPU or it your RTX 2080 installed into PC? I am using laptiop with MX150 and would like to by eGPU with RTX 2060. But cannot understand if I can choose then which GPU my CS6 should use for rendering. 

If anyone has same setup like me: CS6 on a laptop with Windows and Nvidia GPU + eGPU connected via Thunderbolt 3/4,  please let me know how it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 wont run on two cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use After Effects CS6, not Premiere. Where can I find this "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file? My computer also has an Nvidia Geforce MX150. I would like a faster render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no cuda support in ae cs6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was just written here that the Premiere CS6 recognized the card, by typing a graphic card name in this txt File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is only Cuda support in the Premiere CS6? Is there not in the After Effects CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem and already knew about this .txt file. Strangely I have my card added, but CUDA won't show as a playback option. Even more strangely, adding another line with my card, but with "NVIDIA" at the beginning, solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines