Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export 4K into 1080?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!
I have a question which might sound stupid but I am a newbie, so please be patient 🙂
I have some footage shot in 4K, which I would like to export as 1080.

Do I use a 4K sequence and then export in 1080, or do I use a 1080 sequence in the first place? Or it doesn't make any difference? And will the footage lose a lot in terms of quality?

Thank you everyone

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Either workflow is fine.  You will by it's intrinsic nature lose quality when you downrez from 4k to 1080, but it will at least be very close in the quality you would have gotten  if you shot on 1080 to begin with.   

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

If you use a 1080 sequence you will be able to zoom in and reframe the shots if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either workflow is fine.  You will by it's intrinsic nature lose quality when you downrez from 4k to 1080, but it will at least be very close in the quality you would have gotten  if you shot on 1080 to begin with.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a 1080 sequence you will be able to zoom in and reframe the shots if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set the Preferences option for scaling to "Set to framesize" and use a 1080 sequence. The clips will all "land" with the image filling the sequence borders. And you can re-size without the hit of resolution drops you would get from "Scale to framesize" as a preference.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off topic, but it should be said that some want to do the opposite. Shoot and edit in 1080 but upload to YouTube in 4K. I say, try it and check those results.

Yes, you can shoot and edit in 1080 and blow up the sequence to 4K. I do that in Media Encoder. Some say they cannot see the difference between a scaled up 1080 cut from 1080 source and one that originated in 4K and was exported in 4K. I think that's pretty cool. Yay, Media Encoder!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

put the 4k into a full hd sequence and export full hd.

: )

don't upscale... that interpolation is handled better at your TV end than from editing program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Either workflow will work. Premiere Pro allows you to change the frame rate, resolution and even the aspect ration during export. You will not find more export settings in a NLE than what Premiere Pro has to offer. The video below demonstrates this at about two minutes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines