How to fix "a low level exception occurred in: DeviceController:4"

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night I upgraded the Premiere for the last version and this message started to happen when I tried to edit a video. 

"A low level exception occurred in: DeviceController:4"

The screeshoot below shows the error

Captura de Tela 2020-06-19 às 11.28.04.pngCaptura de Tela 2020-06-19 às 11.35.18.png

Now I can't add titles or do many things.

Tried some things like this and didn't work. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/how-to-fix-quot-a-low-level-exception-occurred-in-h-264-...

Can somebody help me?

The issue only occurs in 10.13.6 and happens anytime the preferences are touched. It's irratating, but otherwise harmless. Update the Mac OS to resolve.

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Export, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 19, 2020 9
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samezies 

I'm on an iMac 

Adobe Premiere Pro 14.3.0 (build 38)

MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra

no peripheral capture cards or anything extra in use now

all CC apps are up to date

This issue interfered with my export of a linked AE comp, through Media Encoder, defaulting to the video content that was on the timeline hours ago, before I had done a "replace with After Effects composition" and created motion graphics in AE. 

Manually reimporting the AE comp and putting it on the PR timeline worked but that's a dumb extra step. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 23, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try disabling preferences / playback / enable mercury transmit. That did it for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately did not solve it for me..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue after upgrading.  And, consistently can repro the error...

- Switching Video Rendering and Playback to Software Only [Project Settings] did nothing.

- I do not use any type of capture card.  All my video is shot on high end cameras and imported from memory cards.

- Also, and probaby the most important, I can also trigger the error every single time by just trying to rename a seqence in the project panel.  Every time!

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.39.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-26 at 2.43.49 PM.png

PLEASE HELP!  I would love for you to fix this, but this is more than rediculous at this point, Adobe. 

At other creators recommendations, I'm downloading DaVinci Resolve and exploring alternatives as I have not choice if I wish to stay in business.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this error until I go to open a menu. Such as Preferences>Genreal or Edit>Project Settings>.
When I first open up it is fine until I start opening menus, then I get the same error. I can duplicate the error EVERY TIME when I open Premier Pro>Preferences>General. Not sure why...

System:  Imac (Retina 5k, 27 Inch, 2017)
macOS:  High Sierra v. 10.13.6
CPU:      3.8GHz Intel Core i5
RAM:    OWC 2x16GB 2400MHZ DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200
              Apple 2x8GB   2400MHZ DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200
Storage: 2.12TB Fusion Drive
Adober Premiere Pro v. 14.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From scanning this thread it definitely seems like an issue effecting Mac OS. Can you roll back to 14.2 in the mean time?

Edit: Also see Kevin's note about OS version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Philip,

How are ya man?

Not just Mac. Everyone is on macOS 10.13, which is getting older now. 10.14 is in the sweet spot, I think. 10.15 had a slow start but is getting better. I might advise these folks to also check the beta. If it's crashing there too, then it's almost certainly that the 10.13 window is closing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry FNC,

Thinking it's a macOS 10.13 issue. Can you roll back to 14.2 or update to macOS 10.14? Which media format are you operating with? Which camera is it. Very sorry for the frustration. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea.  That worked well.  THANK YOU!  Hopefully I'll be able to upgrade in the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wallison1,
I am so sorry for your frustration. I can see that you are not alone in getting this error. I suspect it is a bug related to your OS. Everyone on this thread is running macOS 10.13. Is it all possible to update your OS or test on another machine running macOS 10.14? I'd say 10.14 is probably where you want to be for 14.3. It is running perfectly here in my home in San Francisco on 10.14. Try it if you can. Sorry again for the issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to upgrade to 10.14 on my Mac.  So that isn't very helpful (for me).  The rollback version for Premiere was super helpful.  Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

os related... its a software that has to run and not have bugs on the OS not the os that has to adapt to your application. You are ridiculous

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to OS 10.15.5 and I think the problem is now resolved. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem after update to 14.3 on Mac OS 10.13.6. Supper laggy playback (worse than "normal" pp lag), often just a black screen indefinetly, and this low-level exception error. Another update, another-show stopper bug.

System requirements page says "macOS v10.13 or later" for both required and reccomended. If indeed "10.14 is probably where you want to be for 14.3" then update the recomended system requirements. Or... you know, test this stuff. We all uncovered this issue within seconds of upgrading. You have a whole department that tests releases. Right?

Either way, respectfully, get it together.

Until then, luckily there is a workaround:

File - > Export Final Cut Pro XML

Open in Resolve or FCP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2020 2