• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix Selector: 9 Error code: 3 Render Errors

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a patient guy but I am becoming extremely concerned that large numbers of users are hitting a brick wall with this one.

By the way, if you want to know how to fix this issue, go to the last couple of lines of this note. I recommend the Premiere team addressed this issue with us publically so we have a steer as to how long we need to wait for a fix.

My render issues started at the end of December 2020. The only thing I did at about that time was to change my workflow by Ingesting my footage for faster editing since I create between 3 and 4 videos per week sometimes with 1,000% speed ramps. Playing that back inside Adobe was tough on resources (although my WIndows 10 PC has massive spec).

So (like you probably have already done), initially I would check where the claimed timecode issue was and I would either remove a transition or trim the timeline by 1-frame, thinking that I had some weird issue with the footage.

But I noticed that by rendering the same project over-and-over again, the errors would be at different timecodes. Have you noticed that too?

To "cure" the problem, I started from scratch, updated everything including the GTX 1080 ti drivers and created a fresh adobe project. Cleared the cache, etc. etc. 

I was convinced that this would solve my issue since I have a boiler-plate template project that I re-used that has my sting / logo at the front of the project and some close of fmusic / title thing at the end.  So I re-created all this inside a brand new project with the latest version of Premiere and Encoder last night in case I was moving the "imaginary" issue from project to project.

However, the issue still exists. 

It's important to note that the timecode is different each time I render - even though as a test, I have not edited anything on the timeline:

Writing file type: H264
Around timecode: 00:03:00:15 - 00:03:00:23
Component: H.264 of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: 3

I tried three more times and get errors at:

Around timecode: 00:08:18:17 - 00:08:18:18

Around timecode: 00:08:34:25 - 00:08:34:26

Around timecode: 00:07:01:58 - 00:07:02:05

If I keep rendering, I know it will eventually just complete.

And previous projects that HAVE rendered successfully in the past, can also fail. But sometimes don't.

This brand new test project that I have created is only 8:04 long, so I have no idea why it has an error longer than the timeline  (In and Out points were selected for render).

But I digress.

I have created 691 public video projects with Adobe Premiere and in the main, it has done its job. I have lived through the main errors that were normally fixed on the next release (well, maybe the one after) but this time though, my production schedule is being severely impacted. I have worked with computers for 42 years. I own a digital media company. I know my marbles. I generally know what direction to go in to fix an issue. But "Selector: 9 Error code: 3" as an error tells me very little apart from Google telling me that other folks experiencing the same thing - and some extremly random answers from very clever people that have a blinkered approach to life - that in the main also do not work. I have plenty of resources with (mirrored SSD) space, 64Gb memory and a good GPU.

The real problem we all have is that we have invested our TIME in understanding our chosen editor. The reason we all don't abandon Premiere overnight is that most of us are busy, we have a punishing YouTube schedule to work with and the thought of starting over again fills me with dread. I have a ton of other stuff I always need to do, not learn a new tool. But eventually the patient man will snap and he'll take that gut wrenching decision to download another editor, not far from a google search (so far, I have resisted).

By the way, my project has just (finally) completed rendering successfully by switching off the GPU. That will probably cure your issue although the render will take a LONG time to complete (I render at 4k).

Or will it? Because whilst I edited this note, it has also completed by switching ON the GPU. So go figure and good luck.

Callum.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Callum for posting this.

Similar issues suddenly this morning - I've got three important deadlines over the weekend and can't get anything exported.

Have tried to export as h.264 about 10 times now and it fails at different timecodes each time so it can't be a problem with the footage.

Unfortunately turning off hardware acceleration and restarting makes no difference for me.

I've had to go with a wmv which seems to have worked but obviosuly took 4 times as long!

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never thought about .wmv. Good idea.

In which case there's something up with the coding for H.264.

Good luck!

Callum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple thoughts from the cheap seats:

• Have you updated your Nvidia drivers recently? If so, make sure they are the Studio drivers and not the gaming drivers.
  • If you have a full-featured Intel CPU that supports hardware encoding of H.264, please make sure that if you enable it in your export dialog that it plays nice with these two settings:

EnableMercuryGPUPlayback.jpg

EnableHardwareDecoding.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I didn't know there was a difference.

1080ti GPU and I had a heck of a problem with the Nvidia website, trying to find the right ones in the first place..

Will have a look later - that's a good tip.

(Although, I exported 7 "shorts" last night and all bar one exported fine).

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been a ton of threads on here over the last month dealing with crappy Nvidia game-ready drivers. So it's been rather well discussed.

On the Nvidia driver support site, you simply go through the list ... the OS & card type,  then down through the drop-downs. Just make sure you choose the Studio rather than the game-ready.

Then ... I do recommend during the installation de-selecting the "Geforce Experience" option, and then selecting the "clean install" option.

Most people are working fine with the latest studio driver, but some even then need to go back one driver.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil,

Right. I'll give that a go tonight. 

Excellent tip.

Callum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On this one I'm afraid Studio drivers made no help on it, Actually when I ended up reverting back to the game driver a few days ago I had even fewer issues, this may just be a coincidence but that studio driver didn't help with this error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Callum,

Try a clean reinstallation of NVIDIA Studio driver. The previous game ready driver caused conflicts. That one is the one you might have installed.  

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, 

Right. I wonder if I can "uninstall" the one I have?

Not at my desk right now but I'll spend some time tonight on it (on my birthday : )

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

I completely removed the Nvidia Drivers from my machine, rebooted into VGA then re-installed the 10 Series (GTX 1080ti) Studio Drivers from the official site - and also rebooted just for the heck of it.

The regular "Export" still fails with same error

So does the Queue but at a different place:

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\D:\Videos\PROJECTS\Shorts Feb 2021\lower-third.mp4
Around timecode: 00:10:40:53 - 00:10:40:54

Are any detailed logs I can send for your Dev team?

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nightmare!

I applaud your driver removal/reinstallation process. It's very thorough and I think only a program like Display Driver Uninstaller could do better.

You should cause yourself more pain: Go back one or two (or both) driver versions and repeat your removal/reinstall process. 

We keep harping on drivers because it is 90% likely that a hardware conflict or issue is causing the export failure. Maybe even 97.36% likely. 😀

One more question in case I missed it above: can you use hardware GPU and export to any other formats and codecs? IOW, is H.264 the only export format that is giving you trouble?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff. I did try WMV. That failed too. 

I will have a look at the Display Driver Uninstaller and start over again. May this weekend (although I'm currently fitting out my crowd-funded factory move - which is why lots of videos are important to keep my subscribers engagement - and for them to see how I'm spending their money..

OK, so totally removing all traces of my GTX1080ti drivers; I'm confused why I would need to (as you put it) "Go back one or two (or both) driver versions and repeat your removal/reinstall process". Ah wait, I think you are saying I can do this more than once. Right. I see.

Anyway, Friday's night's (tonight) 20min video finally exported. I just ran the export directly off Premiere several times and "pop" it completed. I didn't queue it. I'm confused if they both use the same code to export.

I'll keep you all posted.

Callum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally removing all traces of my GTX1080ti drivers; I'm confused why I would need to (as you put it) "Go back one or two (or both) driver versions and repeat your removal/reinstall process". Ah wait, I think you are saying I can do this more than once. Right. I see.

Just to clarify: I was suggesting that you roll back to one driver version earlier. But no one really knows when the conflict that you are experiencing was introduced; what if the conflict in the current driver also exists there? So you may want to start two driver versions earlier. If you try one version earlier and that doesn't work, then you have to do the whole process again, which would be a bummer.

(Hopefully that IS a clarification and not an obfuscation!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.. Copied.

I have no idea how I can go and get older drivers for the 1080.. I shall endeavour to find them.

It was fine in December.

The something happened...

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, been cruising the internet for OLDER version of the GTX 1080 ti drivers and can only seem to download V 461.40, which is the latest.

I haven't done the "Display Driver Uninstaller" yet because I have a ton of other stuff to do right now and any downtime will kill me.

Maybe I can go back to a previous version of Premiere - say around November last year? 

Does anyone know the dates when 14.7, 14.6 or 14.5 was released? I need something between about July and November.

Callum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(In hindsight, I'll have a go with Premiere 14.9.. Apparently I'm on 14.8)

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Progress:

I have to thank @Jeff Bellune for suggesting the Display Driver Uninstaller which totally removed the Nvidia drivers from my system and allowed me to start again.

BUT

I was writing a detailed how-to guide for future surfers, convinced I'd cracked this but I got a fail on my second project (latest one rendered out OK).

So 50% success rate so far.

• I re-downloaded the latest Studio driver
  • I made sure everything up to date (Premiere and Media Encoder)
  • I hopped over to Display Driver Uninstaller and download their toy.
  • I ran it.
  • Rebooted
  • Run it again (to make sure)
  • I ran the latest Studio Driver
  • Rebooted again.

Rendered last project in Encoder (worked)

Previous project failed with usual parameters:

Writing with exporter: H.264
Writing to file: \\?\D:\Videos\PROJECTS\Fitting out the workshop\test2.mp4
Around timecode: 00;17;28;16 - 00;17;28;17

So I'm afraid I'm still not fixed.

How about I completely remove and clean up all the Adobe products - and then head for another installation?

I mean, is that fruitless?

Callum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, after doing absolutely everything, I still get occassional errors.

Everything means stripping out the graphics driver and doing a clean installation of the Nvidia Studio drivers.

Sometimes the Export fails inside Premiere - alternatively it can also fail on the Queue. I have no idea if it's the same code or not.

I should point out that my Export success rate is now about 50% whereas previously it was 10%.

I have downloaded and ran "Resolve" - I just need some time one rainy weekend to learn it.

Callum, DX Commander.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So painful there, Callum. Wishing it were otherwise. It's like some of these issues though ... it's working fine here. Why the heck not for you? Dang.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Neil, so in the MAIN, I am getting a clean export if I don't "Queue".. Is there a difference in the code I wonder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like @Trent Happel to check this thread out if possible.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only error that I see persisting over many updates (at this point, at least 2 years) of Premiere, and it occurs unpredictably and resolves unpredictably.  I have not found (despite much trying) any permanent solution, or any solution at all really, to this problem.

Has Adobe officially responded to this error?  For me, this is THE ERROR that makes me want to switch from Premiere to another video editing program.  When it strikes, there's nothing to do but hope it spontaneously resolves, and aside from the stress/frustration/time lost, it just makes me feel that Premiere is not dependable.

Right now I'm on my third day of trying to export a 12 minute 4K video that I COULD export in 1080p once (so there can't be any major issues, right?) but I still can't get past the dreaded Selector 9.  

Again, has Adobe officially responded to this?  Are they just unable to successfully solve this?

I would imagine that they would prioritize problems that effectively prevent video editors from actually exporting their videos.  A glitch here and there is one thing, but this stops us from doing what we need to do reliably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Koji,

This post is now 6 months old and the OP has moved on. Shall I branch out your case?

We have little to go on with your case. Without your system info or info on your media, we can't help. We don't know anything about your sequence. If it's long or short. If it has any effects. Is it 4K? Is is scaled to HD? 

At this point it's all a guess. Not saying this is you, however, there are many things that can can go wrong with these kinds of errors and export and they are usually related to either a random bad clip or you have been using highly compressed/mobile phone/drone/ripped/streamed VFR and/or 4K media that is not conformed to a standard editing codec. This video is unsuitable for editing in Premiere Pro and needs to be conformed/transcoded or have proxies created for them.

The other issue is that many have computer systems that are often not optimized very well for editing, especially with  footage carrying heavy effects and color correction. With non-standard footage, the issue is exacerbated. This also happens, like a lot of times to those with underpowered laptops with hard drives that are not optimized for media production.

A lot of the time, people that are not mindful of these things are those that have the most problems with export failures. It's a pain, but you can work around the issue if you face the issues head on.

If you have something different going on, please let us know.

Let us know more. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found was the solution for me when I encountered this error was a bad audio file.  Let me be clearer, I seen that the failure seemed to happen in the audio portion of the processing, audio code was 00:00:00:00 so i looked at the files and each one to see what was different.  what i found was one audio file which was enhanced using essential sound was selected to be at 50Hz as opposed to 60Hz like the rest.  

Once I found and fixed that I was able to get past that error.  

What worked for me may or may not work for you but I would reccommend checking the files being rendered and search for differences like above.  Its time consuming but worth it when you find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines