• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fix slowed down video and stuttering audio?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fast dedicated installation drive for my adobe programs. It has always worked this way. But all of a sudden new versions of premiere and other programs are installed on the slower C drive. It results in Premiere in slowed down video and stuttering audio. When I return to the previous version of Premiere (Still on the dedicated drive) everything works perfect.
How do I change the creative cloud app settings to install onto the dedicated drive again?

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

I found after a search elswhere on this forum that this choppy playback after installing a new version is a common Premiere issue. It does not have to do with the drive. After changing the audio input settings to -nothing- playback was normal again. This seems to work on Mac and Windows systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say first, as important as the OS is, that I'm puzzled that you have the OS on a slow drive. All programs run "through" the OS, and need it's caching and other support. Most advice I've seen over the years is to have a fast OS drive, and leave the apps there where they and the OS expect them to be.

Past that, a fast cache drive is a big help. But having the apps on a separate drive is not that I've ever seen.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for being unclear Neil. Tahnk you for your reply.
The drive is not really that slow (SSD) but apparently slower than the program drive since when premiere is installed on the C drive playback of 4K video stutters and when installed on the dedicated programs drive it does not.

But maybe something else is wrong. because I found out that VLC player (which is installed on the C drive) does play the same clips fine without stuttering.
Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply John,
I will try to do this when my project is finished. As the project works in the prevoius version of Premiere (still on the other disk) I prefer finishing it before, avoiding the risk of removing all programs includig the previeous version.

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found after a search elswhere on this forum that this choppy playback after installing a new version is a common Premiere issue. It does not have to do with the drive. After changing the audio input settings to -nothing- playback was normal again. This seems to work on Mac and Windows systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your are correct. It is not your hard drives as seen in the video below (for future refrence). As far as the OS it gets stored to RAM. I did a video where I had the OS on a mechanical hard drvie in a hot swap bay and I removed it. Windows still worked. The Mac OS does the same thing. You just need to have enough throughput to match you video files. R3D, BRAW and Pro Re require more throughput than h.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information and the informative video.

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome. Having said that it does not hurt to delete the media cache files from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines