• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get the Timecodes of footage used by a sequence, similar to an EDL's values?

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am developing a plugin that shall generate a text file for the purpose of documenting the _used_ footage. It's for a media design company that needs to know which and how much "foreign" footage it used.

For this purpose, the plugin needs to learn the actually used range of frames, or their TCs, of the footage that's references in a sequence.

How do I get to that information?

I know how to learn of the original footage tracks, but I have a hard time determining the TCs, especially if the footage is embedded into the sequence at a non-trivial time scale. For instances, if it's using  speed-ramp, I cannot simply take the TCs from the track, as they do not directly translate into the range that they're taken from the footage (1s of play time in slo-mo) may mean that it's 10s in the footage - and that's the timing I need in order to know how much needs to be credited to the original footage.

When I export a sequence to EDL, then these TCs are right there, though! This means that there's code in Premiere that can calculate these values. The question is simply how I get to them from a plugin.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis can you assist @tempelorg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention writing a 'plug-in', which are created in C++;  I think you're writing an extension, in ExtendScript/JavaScript.

You can get the source media in/out points from the trackItem object, but as you point out, there are complexities. 

Confirming: Even for time remapped track items, the values exported in an EDL are correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bruce,

Yes, I mean an extension.

Confirming: Even for time remapped track items, the values exported in an EDL are correct?

Yes, that was my impression so far. Do you think I got this wrong, or are you not familiar with the content of EDL files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm familiar with EDL files; I'm surprised that EDLs offer full source timecode information, for time remapped trackItems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit that I'm "only" the programmer. I do not edit Premiere projects myself, that's not my forte. Instead, my client provides me with real-world sample files.

So, with the little things I tried in Premiere, such as changing the frame rate of an included track, I had the impression that it would also affect the output of the EDL's.

Here's what I tried:

Track 1 uses a clip at normal play rate, for about 4 seconds. This results in an EDL entry as follows:

001 AX AA/V C 00:00:00:00 00:00:04:13 00:00:00:00 00:00:04:13

Then I changed the track's "Speed/Duration" to 20%, and then adjusted its length to play the same 4s seconds. Clearly, the footage is now using only a 5th of the source. And the EDL reflects that:

001 AX V C 00:00:03:08 00:00:04:05 00:00:00:00 00:00:04:13

Or do I misinterpret the first two TCs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming. However, marking my own explanation of what I'm doing as the Correct Answer is not helpful, as I still have no answer to my actual question.

So I guess there is no solution, i.e. there's no Extension API that gets me the information that I need?

Is there a way to request this being added to the API? My client is a large media producer and has more than a few licenses of Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution, computing the result from the data provided in the exported EDL, seems correct. There is no API which will allow you to get the parameters used in speed adjustments for trackItems. 

We're tracking your API feature request as DVAPR-4230269, and will keep you informed of our progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to have entirely misunderstood my request:

@Bruce Bullis wrote:

There is no API which will allow you to get the parameters used in speed adjustments for trackItems. 

I never asked for that. I am asking for the footage TCs of the used clips. What's in the EDL. I don't want the speed adjustment parameters (which, BTW, I have ways to find) because that would require me to calculate the TC values myself - but that's exactly what I do NOT want because that's a can of worms I can never be sure to get correct for all cases.

So I'm now afraid that the request you're tracking even got wrong what I'm asking, and thus will never get my what I need. Would you please share with me what the feature request actually request so that I can verify it gets it right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DVAPR-4230269: Provide API to get speed parameters used on trackItems

This, together with the in/out point information already available via trackItems, should allow you to get to the values you're currently getting from the EDL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title is indeed off as I feared, because I'm not looking for speed parms but for the TCs of the inserted clips.

Would you please update it, using a title such as (I may not use the correct terms, though, so please fix accordingly):

Provide API to query the source time codes of a track's original clip.

And then add:

What is needed are the same TC values that are also provided in an EDL file: A track line in an EDL file contains four TCs: First two are the start and end times of the original clip, and the latter two specify where they're inserted in the final sequence. The latter two values can be queried with existing APIs, but the first two cannot, and those are what we need.

In other words, this is a request to have read access to the original clip's start and end TCs used by each track.

The purpose: We need to learn which parts of the footage clips are actually used in the sequence, e.g. in order to document the footage credits (and their lengths).

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's possible today. 

Test setup: 

• Project with one media item, many seconds long
  • Set in point at 00;00;10;00 and out point at 00;00;11;00. 
  • Insert edit that one second, into a new sequence (thereby creating a trackItem)
var clip = app.project.activeSequence.videoTracks[0].clips[0];

if (clip){
    var start = clip.start;
    var end = clip.end;
    var inPoint = clip.inPoint;
    var outPoint = clip.outPoint;
}

In [above], start and end are the sequence time range occupied by the trackItem, and inPoint/OutPoint refer to the time range, in the original projectItem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'll check whether this is what I need and report back (and mark it as the correct answer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick test suggests that the clip values do not always give me the same values as I'd get from the EDL.

I will try to provide an example project with a tiny video clip that demonstrates the issue. May take me 2 days, though. I'll be back then. Until then, please keep this open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright - here's what I found:

It appears that 

app.project.activeSequence.videoTracks[].clips[].inPoint.seconds

gives me the same value as I find in the EDL.

However:

When I use a time remapping operation on the clip, then the inPoint/outPoint values get shifted, and that appears to be totally wrong, i.e. a bug, in Premiere.

Reasoning: The clip's in and out points should be telling me which part of the original clip is actually appearing in the rendered sequence, right?

I've attached two sample projects that demonstrate this suspected bug. Yikes - why can't I attach projects here? Even as a zip file??!

Well, it should be easy to reproduce anyway: Make a new project, new sequence, add a clip.

Check the outpoint. I am using PropertyExplorer. If the clip was 10s long, then

app.project.activeSequence.videoTracks[0].clips[0].outPoint

gives me 10s, as expected. Same value I get when I export to EDL.

Now  right-click on the clip in the sequence view, choosing "Speed/Duration". Change Speed to 50%.

Check the outPoint again. It's now 20s! And that's not right, as it suggests that the clip has 20s of content, but it only has 10!

The EDL, however, still shows the correct outpoint of 10s. That's the discrepency I had noticed: The EDL is correct, the clip's start/endpoints are not.

And I have even more complex examples that use time remapping / speed ramps, where it all gets even worse (if I could just attach them here). There's no way I can calculate the correct in/outpoints in these cases myself.

That's what needs to be fixed or where the API needs to be improved.

Can you confirm my findings? If so, do you agree that the moving in/outpoints for the clip are a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am not computing anything from the EDL values. It's the EDL values that I need, nothing more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would even be helpful if I could just have an EDL file generated from my Extension so that I could then parse it and extract the values from it, but that feature doesn't seem to exist either:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/how-to-export-an-edl-from-a-timeline-using-extendscript/...

For a function that's already implement in the core code of Premiere, I find it really sad that it's not exposed to the scripting API if customers had asked for it in the past.

And the FCP export file does not contain the TCs I seek either, it appears.

Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, there is no API for exporting EDLs; I've added your vote to that feature request. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines