Highlighted

How to have different aspect ratios on one timeline/sequence?

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a short film and I want to have 21:9, 4:3 and regular 16:9 on one timeline/sequence. I want to do it right without having to crop the black bars or using a png. Is this possible?? To be able to set my settings for a sequence like this and render it accordingly?

TOPICS
Editing, Export, Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to have different aspect ratios on one timeline/sequence?

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a short film and I want to have 21:9, 4:3 and regular 16:9 on one timeline/sequence. I want to do it right without having to crop the black bars or using a png. Is this possible?? To be able to set my settings for a sequence like this and render it accordingly?

TOPICS
Editing, Export, Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you cannot have it all. You need to deside what you want upfront. 16:9 seems to me the most logic choice.

21;9 and 4;3 needs to be up/downscaled if you dont want black bars.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of a way or think of one that I can have all of those aspect ratios in a short? and what exactly do you mean by downscaled?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resized.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try to put a 4X6 photo in an 8X10 picture frame, you have to matte it or enlarge it.

If you want to put an 8X10 photo into a 4X6 photo frame, you have to crop it or shrink it.

It's the same for videos in a sequence

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if I were to render a sequence say at 21:9 then use that render footage on a timeline that is set at 16:9 will it still preserve it's 21:9 qualities? since it was first rendered with those settings or will the new settings of the 16:9 overright and will make it lose its 21:9 properties? I'm just trying to find a way to stray away from adding black bars rather than it having black bars naturally 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you export to 21:9 and place the export on a 16:9 timeline, then it will be 21:9 on a 16:9 timeline.

The pixel size of the export and the sequence size will determine whether there will be black bars or cropping.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in other words, I will not have my way and will have to divert to cropping or png black bars?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2020 0
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what i said.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those (in case those who find this helpful) I went with making an individual sequence for each aspect ratio that I wanted (21:9, 4:3), I rendered it and place it all in one timeline (16:9). While placing it in the timeline I could see the following clip (a clip I forgot to erase) behind those rendered aspect ratios footage where the black bars are so it made me feel like it was the best option compared to cropping or png black bars. I may be wrong nor am I an expert but it is what I went with, timely but it did the job.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2020 0