Highlighted

How to Import Gopro Footage into Premiere Pro (hevc/h264 or hevc)

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I recently purchased a Gopro Hero 8. The only two options on the device is hevc/h264 or hevc. I chatted with Adobe help and they said neither are supported. I was told to download handbrake, but it only allows one file at a time and it seems to be downgrading my 4k to 1080p footage. I was also told by adobe that the earlier version 13.1.5 included Hevc. I am a content creator on youtube so I plan to upload a lot of footage with the gopro and transcoding one file at a time seems like a heavy work around. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Windows 10 64

ryzen 5 cpu

rx580 gpu 

16gigs 3200 ram

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to Import Gopro Footage into Premiere Pro (hevc/h264 or hevc)

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I recently purchased a Gopro Hero 8. The only two options on the device is hevc/h264 or hevc. I chatted with Adobe help and they said neither are supported. I was told to download handbrake, but it only allows one file at a time and it seems to be downgrading my 4k to 1080p footage. I was also told by adobe that the earlier version 13.1.5 included Hevc. I am a content creator on youtube so I plan to upload a lot of footage with the gopro and transcoding one file at a time seems like a heavy work around. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Windows 10 64

ryzen 5 cpu

rx580 gpu 

16gigs 3200 ram

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know what Support told you but its plain nonsens.

Premiere support H.264/5 in 2020 and 2019.

On a side note hevc is a pita to edit. Transcoding or proxies is the way to go.

With Handbrake you can batch encode and export to 4K.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to drag or click the file to import, it does not import. Nothing happens.

That does not happen with any other file.

Ive been messing around with handbrake but it does not let me batch with the gopro files. It does not show up when I go to find files. Every other file is there, just not gopro. It only allows me to single transcode

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This  can be confusing, no doubt.

First, Premiere Pro can import the GoPro files ... but ... depending on your CPU/RAM/GPU, it may or may not play them back smoothly due to the extreme compression options used by those cameras to get the data "smallified" rapidly. It uses a special chip in the camera to do the encoding. Most computers do not of course have that particular chip to de-encode the media.

Some Intel CPUs have "QuickSync" which helps with that. Many do not. There are now some things in certain AMD CPUs also that I think help with this.

So often, to get good playback it's useful to transcode to an intraframe codec, or at least to a long-GOP format with less extreme use of things like partial i-frames and long picture 'groups'. Handbrake can do that to an easier to process form of H.264, and you missed the capability of that app to batch process, which it does do. There are online files and the help for Handbrake that do cover the process.

You could also use MediaEncoder, especially to make say a ProRes or Cineform transcode which as an intrframe codec, would play back ever so much easier within your system.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the help. 

premiere does not recognize my gopro files but media encoder did.

I am able to set up a watch folder to automatically transcode the footage.

The option to batch on handbrake is a very large button on the main screen. When I click it, Gopro footage does not show up. It shows up only when I do single. 

I am using 2.7k settings on my gopro. do you have a recommended setting on media encoder / handbrake to keep close to the same quality but also be somewhat speedy? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 1
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handbrake's batch operation system takes a bit of futzing to figure out, as you first need to select the folder for it to use. And sometimes I have to select and tell it to go to work a couple times before it actually does the batch.

I use the options to match frame-size of the original, and for compression, set it high enough quality that is shows it as "near placebo".

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0