• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to know time duration of In and Out section (or time duration of any area in timeline)

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Premiere Pro 2019)
Often I'll have a section of my timeline that I want to swap out and add a different video clip in but I need to know the duration of the section to which I'll be replacing so when I search for a video clip I will know if the clip is long enough to fill the space needed. 

I can manually figure out the time with the program monitor panel's timecode but this seems very tedious and seems like there must be an easier more exact way. I've tried to select the desired section with In and Out and this seems like it should work but I'm not seeing any timecode of the selected area?

Hope this is a simple fix that I'm missing, thanks for any help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Premiere Pro forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at my editing computer now, but try right click > speed and duration (or similar wording) as if you were going to do a time stretch.

It should tell you how long it is. Then cancel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG how did I not notice that. I've looked at it so many times without having In Out section selected that I skipped right past it when trying to figure it out lol 

Thanks for the help everyone. My mistake!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a great question. I think Ann nailed it for you... temp in out points, note duration on paper, make cuts if needed ( to delete section to be replaced) and put new clip in that space.

This has plagued me a few times and with same problem... knowing the duration of specific range of stuff on timeline.

Added to that problem is the balancing act between aesthetics and time code... like, I'd want to choose stuff to put in there that looks nice, rather than simply match time codes.

Usually what I end up doing is use a stopwatch and get the rough time of the section I want to replace and then start choosing what I like to replace it ( same stop watch plus a second or so ). I stick the new thing on a level above the one to be replaced and use CTI to do the actual cuts and drag down the new piece snapping to the cti so nothing shifts.

It's a pain in butt and slow but it works, especially for the aesthetic quality... and nothing else shifts around and messes up all the other video and audio levels.

A plus for putting the clip above is you can delete the sound from that clip if you have that embedded from camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines